Apple Working on Service Similar to Google Voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

That would mean less money for Apple so it is rather doubtful.

G

So following that line of reasoning, Microsoft should restrict users from installing Safari, iTunes and Quicktime on windows PCs. We already have apps that perform those functions. I wonder how long it would take for Apple to cry foul and sue. Probably could be measured in microseconds. So much for an equal marketplace.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Actually, Apple shoudn't block an application telling a coming new app from Apple will do the same...

I just see one thing, "monopole" in Apple world.
I really don't like the way Apple manage all theirs stuff.
Each day Apple creates a new crisis.
Each day Apple make me feel sick a little bit more.

Hurry up the day where the court will recognize them guilty of their own greed.

DeadlyPredator

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Apple = control + monopoly. If they don't have the full control of something, they destroy it, that's why they do everything they can to stop hackintoshs, jailbreaking and iPods without iTunes...

What is google voice? Call screening, Listen in, Block calls, SMS, Place calls, Taking calls, Phone routing, Forwarding phones, Voicemail transcripts, Listen to voicemail, Notifications, Personalize greeting, Share voicemail, Conference calling, Call record, Call switch, Mobile site, GOOG-411, Manage groups, ...

Have you any idea how much money carriers make with these services?? If google offers them for free they are screwed and according to apple the moon will crash on Earth and there will be a tsunami killing 3/4 of the world's population! Carriers should only provide bandwidth and a number, the rest should be done over IP with what you want, so you only pay for the bandwitdh you use.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
sounds like we have a few utopian dreamers on here... thinking they can demand things from the communications providers... next thing you'll know, they'll want unlimited drinking water for a standard price! how about all the electricity you can use for 49.99 a month? while it sounds good... it will never happen in the capitalist world we live in...

the fact remains that everyone that buys an iphone buys into a closed system that's contractually locked... you are at the mercy of Apple and ATT... to believe you can do what you wish with the device after you pay up for it is nonsense. you knew full well, or you should have, that you would be forced to pay for all services you use on the device. it was clearly spelled out and has been ranted about on the internet since it's inception... are you gonna act dumb and pretend you didn't enter into the contract?

i understand that the way they're doing it isn't advantageous to consumers, but then i didn't buy an iphone nor do i intend on it. all this whining about monopoly and over zealous control by apple is just shifting blame from the most obvious fact here:

You entered into a binding contract and tried get something for free from people that will do everything it takes to get every cent they can from you! you're the sucker, plain and simple.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Hanin33, this is where you're incorrect. What apple is doing with denying these services is akin to if Microsoft was to say "you can't use that dvd playback software because windows media player already does it, and you can't use that burning software because the OS already does that, and you can't use that browsr because IE already does that...". The application being offered by google is in no way hurting ATT because it is simply using a connection ATT has provided, and ATT is fully allowed to set up the subscription prices. If they aren't making enough due to these apps (which doesn't make sense as you get all that for free with a voice plan, so you pay for it if you use it or not), they can simply increase the price of the data plan. Again, not that it matter as they require you to have a voice plan anyway.

The binding contract that was entered into was with ATT, not apple, and had nothing to do with limiting what applications you could or could not run on the platform. Apple is in the wrong because they are providing a popular "open" platform by providing an SDK, but then proceeding to censor applications developed for their platform that are stragetically dis-advantagous for them. Especially when the programs being blocked are in no way malicious and simply compete with them.

They diserve the full microsoft treatment by every government, and not only for the things they do with the iphone, but also the refusal of cross licenseing the drm itunes used to use so itunes songs could only be used on ipods and suing anyone who tried to reverse engineer, suing companies out of existance that enabled the ability to interface with ipods and actively breaking compatability of third party devices which interface with itunes (though this one is rather hard to prove).

grando

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
Given time..they will run into the same problems that Microsoft did. Let the EU get a hold of them and lets see what happens then..

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
cyprod: incorrect analogy. at no time and in no place in microsoft's EULA do they state that you are limited to microsoft's productivity suites or other software. on the other hand this is very clearly stated in the EULA for the iphone and itunes store (guess you haven't read it?). no where in any of Apple's developer literature or any of the sales literature for the iphone does it state that their 'open' platform will allow you to run any software that isn't pre-approved by them. the app store is fundemental proof of this. that you somehow believe this to not be true is the only reason i can think of for you to think that it is otherwise.

if you honestly believe ATT has no say in what apple does with the iphone, you obviously aren't familiar with corporate contracts and market control and the fact that ATT makes the bulk of their money from selling you services... that is SMS/MMS, data and voice access. do you really believe they'd allow you to circumvent this?

trust me, i too believe they should be 'open' and simply provide you with a device that allows you to use the services as you wish but this is wishful thinking. the iphone was not and has never been marketed as such. to spout off about the way you think things should be as fact is... well... you know... but your lack of knowing what you are buying into is no excuse.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I've been waiting for ever to see this day. When the big apple fanboys can shut their mouth about Microsoft's monopoly and not giving consumers choice. Honestly this should be illegal anyways it's another one of their schemes to get you to buy their proprietary products then limit what you can do with them.

I hope the FCC makes them put it back on. Because what's the sense of having any apps if you can't choose what you want. I think they're afraid that google's product will be better so it's best to shut out the competition than compete. I bet if Microsoft did this there would be alot more noise making going on.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
F$%K OFF! hey everyone! i've created an app that solves world hunger, ends all wars, and turns any matter into gold... unfortunately Apple rejected it... but is ok! cause they plan on implementing the same functionallity in 150 years!

if someones done it now, we want it NOW! we don't want to miss out on functionallity just cause you might do it some time down the track!

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]Cool, so if you come up with an idea Apple likes, they will simply take your app off and make there own "Original" app.[/citation]
And they have your source code, which will make it a lot easier.

quantumrand

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I highly doubt Apple is working on a Google Voice-like app, and even if they were, it would have to be complete and available already to be considered "existing."

I hope the FCC throws a huge fine at them and continues to investigate Apple's other practices, for example their advertising methods. It would be nice if the EU stopped pestering Microsoft about bundling IE with Windows and get on Apple's blatant disregard of anti-trust laws for once.

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
people who compare microsoft to apple with regard to "closed system" practices are missing one very important point: Microsoft are bound by the fact that they "require" the participation of third parties in bringing their product to market, the hardware vendors, whereas apple do not. Microsoft have to play fair because their products are installed onto third party hardware and then brought to market as they are a software company. Apple on the other hand are a hardware company who happens to build its own software to operate that hardware. This is a huge difference between the two.

Apple can create a closed system if they like because they build it all, hardware and software, and even provide the distribution channel through their stores, and the software and media distribution channel through itunes. Yes they should be regulated to make sure they do not abuse their position in the market with regard to competition, but they cannot be forced to "open up" their systems as microsoft can be.

There are plenty other companies who operate like this... Would a standard sony tv remote control operate a samsung tv? and if not, why, somebody might like samsung tv's but prefer a sony remote but its tuff... in much the same way, if you like apple stuff buy it, if you don't then don't... simple...

G

Apple is not "building" anything, they're just assembling pc components made by others, adding an additional chip and installing their OS on top. Maybe MS will do the same in a distant future. So far, it's more convenient for BillG to walk along the current path.
The EU will take care of Cupertino as they did with Redmond...

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
seawolf - apple is not building anything

of course they are, they build their own computers, ipod iphones, etc.. using that logic then neither are dell or hp or any other pc vendor, or indeed most product suppliers in every industry!! Do you think car companies actually "build" every component they use to put together their cars? Most product suppliers are simply building their products from components supplied by component manufacturers. (Look up the history of samsung for example, they started out life as a component supplier who decided to enter the retail product market, and i bet even they buy components from third parties for their products..!)

I'm not completely agreeing with apples policies, i'm simply saying it'll be a lot tougher for regulatory bodies to force them to open up than it was with microsoft (and look how long it took them to "get at" microsoft..!)

G

Apple has made a killing off of this exact situation. They take a previously conceived idea, add a little apple polish to it, call it innovative, and then market it to a sea of bafoons who take it, eat it, and praise them. Just a few examples, mp3 player, os x spaces, app store, music store.

G

Apple has made a killing off of this exact situation. They take a previously conceived idea, add a little apple polish to it, call it innovative, and then market it to a sea of bafoons who take it, eat it, and praise them. Just a few examples, mp3 player, os x spaces, app store, music store.

smleth

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Apple is about to get the smack down. They have pissed off Google with this, Palm for the USB blocking that should be illegal, and Microsoft for suing them over the commercials (even though Apples commercials were a lot worse and extremely inaccurate.)

Apple is not that big of a company and has barely survived for many years. They come out with one product that everyone (almost everyone) wants and they think they control the world.

They are creating a Monopoly on the IPhone just as Microsoft was accused of with windows. It is that simple.

On and the EULA doesn't mean shit. You can't read it until after you have purchased and opened the phone, and probably says something like "By purchasing this phone you have agreed to...". Were as an actual contract you read first and then sign you existence over.

I think Hitler must have been Apples Idol.

All Hail Apple, All Hail Apple… Whatever…

Status
Not open for further replies.