Apple Working on Smaller, Cheaper iPhone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan55

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Alright, I know this may sound stupid, and it's not a serious thought, but just something to toy with in the back of your mind.

What if Apple was the joined venture of the rest of the tech world? Think about it. They release stuff to the market with their mass following, and people buy it up at a premium. This then spurs so many other companies to produce competing technology, cracking open the entire industry. The iPhone, was the first large scale production and selling smartphone of it's type, then a very short time later, everyone else has them. What were they waiting for?

The iPad. There wasn't a huge tablet industry beforehand, but when Apple releases the iPad, people go crazy over it, then you have these companies releasing their tablets a couple of months later. I would say there is something, or a lot, that we don't know about what happens. It almost seems like clockwork whenever Apple releases something. What if every company was working together to make it a strong product, create a huge market with their large following, then sell more products. Lots of people now have smartphones, tablets and computers, when about a decade ago, you would have a basic cell, and one or two computers in each household.

Just some food for thought. Don't troll on this, it's not really serious, just one of those stupid conspiracy theories. :)

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]immoral medic[/nom]If they went to $200 with no contract, my family would buy 3 of them. We all want iPhones but don't wanna pay that much for them. If you think about it, cheapest iPhone 4 comes to around $550 per phone with the contract, data, and phone. We are not paying over $1500 for 3 phones. $600 would be a great price. I would support this 100%.[/citation]

Im a little confused here. Your counting the contract term and data plan to its cost? what are you going to do with the phone when you buy it? look at it and saw awww? your going to get a voice and data plan anyways! honestly to me the only real nice thing about no contracts is if something happens to me financially and i cant pay for my phone anymore. otherwise i don't even notice it other then when i goto buy another phone :D With a contract they are cheaper btw since unless you are just going to hang them on the wall instead of use them the phones them selves will actually be cheaper depending on sales and the model you get.

WarraWarra

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
My G*D what a miracle, they are finally coming to their senses + there is iDroid that will be working in 10 days after the first phone lands so there is finally hope for Apple.

Brilliant I can finally start looking at Apple as a solution again.

$200.00 unlocked, no contract, quad band, 5+mp camera, wifi / wimax, 4G/10G/40G so we can use it on travel in China = perfect sign me up, With Android / iOS dual boot it would be perfect.

Congrats Steve Jobs you can finally start making money and have happy customers, PS remember the gorilla glass.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Smaller? The current one is already too small.$200 without contract? I've heard that replacement cost for a current iphone without contract is something like $600. I don't see how they could make the phone cost only 1/3 as much just by making it a bit smaller.[/citation]
apple is making the current iPhone for around $180 and selling it without a contract for at least $600. the only thing they have to do is lower the no contract price and it's already cheaper ;)

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Sounds awesome. Is it going to be called the iPhone Shuffle? Comes complete with no interface and one button that calls a random person when you push it? That could definitely be sold for $200.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Smaller? Cheaper? How about a 64gb and 128gb Iphone at the current price points, you know the flash memory manufactures are price fixing the memory. wholesale on the 32gb chips in the volume Apple is purchasing them in is like $8 US per memory chip...

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Ackthpt[/nom]Apple and their disposable technology. All that time, effort, and materials - only to be tossed in the dumpster in less than a year, for the next one. Didn't choose to upgrade this year? You'll be replacing your phone soon enough anyways, the battery died. And the people that built that phone you just tossed out? Slave wages, high suicide rate, and HELLISH living conditions (seen the people-catching-nets outside Foxconn residences? Nice touch).And you just threw it away because you want more fancy things. Maybe you should think about your impact, Apple slave.[/citation]

Yeah, only Apple is releasing new cell phones every year....lol.

mamatha

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
It is Interestingly enough, the report also says that Apple wants this to have a Universal SIM that lets the user toggle between the carrier of their choice. Because it will be so cheap, this will allow Apple to exert more influence over its negotiations with the carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.