Apple Working to Make Gadgets Scratch Resistant

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]cashews[/nom]Come again?[/citation]

He's saying he is glad that apple gadgets will be more durable, but wishes that google had come up with this idea a long time ago, so that when he bought his Nexus One.. that it would be more durable. However.. I don't see the connection between Google discovering something and HTC implementing it ;D

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
This isn't making it scratch-resistant...this is just making the scratches much less visible so you can always see the pretty outside casing of your device all of the time. It's just bringing what you want to see visibily to the surface.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
They make plenty synthetic sapphire crystal in China already. Surprised Apple uses glass. I see a lot of poor people scattered about my area whom have cracked iPhones. It is rather odd, especially that lower class affords such unnecessary items to begin with.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
My iPhone 4 is scratch and break free. Its a little computer, people. You won't drop your laptop and expect no battle scars. If you need a rugged phone there are plenty out there, they are just pretty low tech.

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
ITS EASY!!!! 7 layers of plastic making an ipod nano look like a gameboy, but hey! at least the screen will no get broken, and also wont overheat.... oh wait....

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]mrmez[/nom]My iPhone 4 is scratch and break free. Its a little computer, people. You won't drop your laptop and expect no battle scars. If you need a rugged phone there are plenty out there, they are just pretty low tech.[/citation]Snort. There are phones that are just as high tech as the iPhone 4, while being more resistant to cracking. You should try skipping your daily dose of Apple koolaid.

mrmez

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Snort. There are phones that are just as high tech as the iPhone 4, while being more resistant to cracking. You should try skipping your daily dose of Apple koolaid.[/citation]

Angry little ah heck aren't ya?

I bet you can tell me everything about the iPhone antenna issues, glass breaking and cracking, etc etc. All expert knowledge that you garnered from the interwebs or friends. No first hand experience unfortunately.

Its glass. It looks pretty but can be a bit fragile. Deal with it. If you believe glass won't break when you drop it, you obviously grew up with plastic crockery.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Exactly how do they plan on making things scratch resistant when all the previous lies surrounding their supposed resistance have been exposed for the Apple Reality Distortion that they are.
Liquid metal?
Gorilla glass?
People, the only way to get truly scratch or damage resistant is to make it out of solid diamond and even Apple fans would balk at that cost.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
any improvement is fine by me, but don't charge me a bundle for it. before you knew it, your shiny, brand-new-looking gadget is already obsolete and has to be replaced with, yup, another brand-new shiny gadget.

G

@mrmez

if you believe you will never drop your phone accidentally then your either deluded or dont care cause daddy is going get you a new one

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]AlexTheBlue[/nom]Snort. There are phones that are just as high tech as the iPhone 4, while being more resistant to cracking. You should try skipping your daily dose of Apple koolaid.[/citation]

You just completely skipped over what he said and molded it into a pro apple statement eh? Nothing in there was apple fanatic worthy. He merely said (basically) that his iPhone 4 is scratch and break free because he obviously treats it very well. Most people are alot more careless with their mobile tech than they should be. Tech should be reasonably durable.. but expecting miracles is kinda rediculous.

Rocks are unbelievably stronger than water.. But look at the grand canyon.

Thats just my opinion though.

G

first day of having my samsung galaxy i dropped it off a 3+foot table onto a tile floor and it landed face down flat.

I left it there for about 5 minutes because i expecte to pick it up shattered. I was lucky it wasnt....

I also dropped it down 6 cemet stairs a couple days later and it fell with enough force the battery cover and battery flow off the phone, again only a ding in the side of the phone.
i have scratched the screen a couple time, more from being in my wife purse.. what the hell does she have in there anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.