Apple's Siri Suffers Extended Service Outage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgerc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
May be it is 'Not tonight, honey! I have a head ache'. Let her have some well deserved rest!

http://theforbittenfruit.ndnlfn.com/iphone-is-coming-iphone-is-coming-2/

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cmercer[/nom]It is still down and it is a premium product and not beta. Also, with cloud services available, Apple should have the capabilities to add additional resources on the fly. They just need to pick up their iPhone and say "add more resources to Siri".[/citation]

Premium product or not, Siri has been labeled as being in Beta by Apple, since it's release.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
"While Apple has always been clear that Siri needs an internet connection to work ..." I don't think that is clear from the commercials. I didn't realize it required a network connection until someone I know with it tried to use it and it failed because of her spotty AT&T service.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]weee[/nom]One Applecare team member was quick to remind a frustrated user that Siri is still in Beta and there are kinks that need to be worked out, and that things would be in full working order once the they release the full version.lol so does that mean you will need to pay for the full version ?[/citation]
just because a program is in beta stage doesn't mean it will be a paid software once it reaches a stable release.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]ralfthedog[/nom]You don't pay for Siri.[/citation] If you upgraded to an iphone 4S2, which the biggest selling point of the phine was a "beta" product called Sirii. Then yes, you do pay for Siri.

Someone ask Siri if she can play crysis

G

As of 19:52 tonight 4 Nov. Siri has been unable to get network connection all day. I have tried all of the 'troubleshooting' (turning off Siri, resetting network connection, closing open apps, and rebooting.) No success. I am using Verizon and everything else seems to work fine. Siri won't make calls or texts for me either. I think she is sick of all the demands being put on her.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I had been wondering how long it was going to take for this to happen. ...a lot sooner than I had expected and for a lot longer than I would have expected. Well, at least its fixed.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
You can't rely on cloud based services like this to work 100% of the time.

If this were to happen again, or if their servers were attacked by DOS attacks, I wonder what the actual backlash of Siri users be?
Would it compare to the BlackBerry outage?

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]You can't rely on cloud based services like this to work 100% of the time.If this were to happen again, or if their servers were attacked by DOS attacks, I wonder what the actual backlash of Siri users be?Would it compare to the BlackBerry outage?[/citation]

Edit:
By claiming the reason for the blackout is due to it being a Beta software is asinine.
Servers are never 100% reliable and stuff like the BlackBerry outage and now Siri will become more common, specially will all the pushes to cloud-based services.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]viometrix[/nom]thank god i dont buy apples garbage, its only designed to keep stupid people stupid[/citation]
Is that what they tought you at university?

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]walter87[/nom]Edit:By claiming the reason for the blackout is due to it being a Beta software is asinine.Servers are never 100% reliable and stuff like the BlackBerry outage and now Siri will become more common, specially will all the pushes to cloud-based services.[/citation]

It's just as asinine to assume it's not due to being beta. It could be routine cloud based troubles, but it might also be due to not having been fully tested with so many users or bugs in the code. We don't know, but either way, they'll likely just tell their customers that this is due to be Beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.