Apple's Siri Suffers Extended Service Outage

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AH.. so Siri doesn't actually run on the iphone, just a voice to text converter that gets sent to a server farm for computation. Kind of like how Wolfram Alpha works. So any smartphone could run 'siri' if Apple allowed it?

G

*rabble rabble rabble* DOWN TIME!!! SUE APPLE!! *rabble rabble rabble*

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
My coworker's Siri was not working for hours before the time limits stated in the article. My daughter's Siri was not working Friday night. I think there is more to it than what Apple is admitting to.

I'll guarantee you that in their TV commercials they don't say anything about Siri being in "beta".

Could be a class action lawsuit in the works.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
"so apple had an asscloud fail?"
"iphone 4s users couldn't talk to ass because of server fail. but look at the silver lining, you must not talk to ass that way."
poor ronery iphone 4s users should sue apple for the [strike]seperation anxiety[/strike] emotional damage ass-fail caused them.
"how does an iphone 4s users use facebook?"
"something something poke siri something."

vistaofdoom

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Someone ask Siri if she can play crysis[/citation]

and this is why Siri blew.... and then went back to the kitchen.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Imagine trusting a parasite like Apple with your search requests. It is like trusting a rat to keep your food supply safe while you sleep.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[quoteAH.. so Siri doesn't actually run on the iphone][/quote]

The iPhone 4s is a piece of junk hardware with only 512 k of ram.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Imagine trusting a parasite like Apple with your search requests. It is like trusting a rat to keep your food supply safe while you sleep.[/citation]
Okay. I love this analogy.

...but I think you're troll'n aren't ya? Come on, admit, you're troll'n. Troll'n, troll'n, troll'n.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]tessie0222[/nom]I didn't have any problems with Siri yesterday. However, today (11/4/11) is a different story. It's been unable to get network connection for 4 1/2 hours now. None of the 'troubleshooting' seems to work ie, turning off Siri, resetting network connection, closing open apps, and rebooting. I've done it all multiple times with out any success. I hope Apple lets us know something soon, as the tech I spoke with wasn't able to tell me to try anything I hadn't already done.[/citation]

Awww, poor you... that's a real blocker!!! How can you continue working without Siri, I wonder?! :lol:

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Imagine trusting a parasite like Apple with your search requests. It is like trusting a rat to keep your food supply safe while you sleep.[/citation]

Well, you trust Google, don't ya? :D But analogy is good, I agree.

[citation][nom]del35[/nom]The iPhone 4s is a piece of junk hardware with only 512 k of ram[/citation]

You mean 512MB. But so far it wins most of the benchmarks vs. SGS2 and other Android phones. Though, of course, I wouldn't take their stupid phone over SGS2 - real world difference would be negligible and having USB and HDMI on your phone >>>>> launching a browser a bit faster or getting 5 more fps in Angry Birds.

G

I have no problem with siri being beta, and its first release bugs, what I do have a problem with is apple fan boys sticking up for apple, there is a problem here and apple itself needs to admit it....not the fan boys....
on the flip side to say the 4s is junk...its insane, it is the best built phone out there, metal and glass, not plastic, it works well, despite siri server problems witch I am sure will fixed in time and battery issues, things like the keyboard that works better than any droid, tracking numbers in e-mail can be tracked right from e-mail, just click on it. try that on your droid?
I have been a long term droid user that went 4s, I am happy with it, and will be more so when bugs are fixed...siri is very very cool when it works, and I spend less time fussing with my phone....

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]chipss36[/nom]I have no problem with siri being beta, and its first release bugs, what I do have a problem with is apple fan boys sticking up for apple, there is a problem here and apple itself needs to admit it....not the fan boys....on the flip side to say the 4s is junk...its insane, it is the best built phone out there, metal and glass, not plastic, it works well, despite siri server problems witch I am sure will fixed in time and battery issues, things like the keyboard that works better than any droid, tracking numbers in e-mail can be tracked right from e-mail, just click on it. try that on your droid? I have been a long term droid user that went 4s, I am happy with it, and will be more so when bugs are fixed...siri is very very cool when it works, and I spend less time fussing with my phone....[/citation]

Look, let's just have a witch-hunt on Apple fanboys and get it over with. Quick, quiet, and to the point...leave nothing behind...not even a connector cable. :heink:

Apple COUNTS on the fact that the iSheep believe in its black magic. ...that the iSheep don't see, recognize, or understand its rat-like practices in the back room. Apple isn't going to just come out and admit any wrong doing, they can't...and let the iSheep down and possibly lose faith? Naaa. For the iSheep must know they're shepherd is infallible.

Seriously, all jests and non-sense aside, a lot of the folks here attack the supposed Apple-fanboy, and I'm sure they're really out there...somewhere. ...just kidding, I KNOW they're out there. Blindly loving Apple is no better or worse than blindly hating EVERYTHING associated with Apple. Apple does make some neat products. Overpriced? Oh yes, we know this...just like a Coach belt, Rolex, or a Rolls Royce. Apple is intentionally marketing to the well-heeled, less savvy buyer that doesn't WANT to be technical...that spend their time with OTHER hobbies (sailing, buying space travel tickets, marrying rich for 72 days, etc., etc.). These buyers just want to stay in touch and have a piece of technology that more or less just works. ...and there's a lot of those people, Apple has proved this. The thing to keep in mind is, if Apple wasn't serving that community somebody else would be and the savvy technical-minded enthusiast would likely hate that somebody just as much as they despise Apple now. Don't hate Apple because it went after these folks. They didn't create this market, they're just serving it...with one (rotten?) Apple at a time. ...and they want to protect what they've black-magic'd...hense all the seemingly dumb-@$$ patent lawsuits.

I honestly think if it wasn't Apple it'd be someone else, some other fruit. ...cause there's a lot of sheep out there.

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I am again amazed at the audacity of apple. They have a truly enormous pile of cash i mean GARGANTUAN PILE OF CASH in their banks. They must employ decent statisticians and they KNOW (as they control) the amount of iPhone 4s' out there. So they should have bought enough server power. It really isn't that expensive.
All these failings though seem to count for little. They still sell their sh*t by the container load.
No wonder their stock value is stratospheric, what a business model, the fat cat's dream.

G

Apple releases plenty of software as beta, do you guys remember Mac Os Cheetah & Jaguar they were not very feature rich compared to later revisions. So give them sometime Siri will be all peachy again!

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]santfu[/nom]I am again amazed at the audacity of apple. They have a truly enormous pile of cash i mean GARGANTUAN PILE OF CASH in their banks. They must employ decent statisticians and they KNOW (as they control) the amount of iPhone 4s' out there. So they should have bought enough server power. It really isn't that expensive. All these failings though seem to count for little. They still sell their sh*t by the container load.No wonder their stock value is stratospheric, what a business model, the fat cat's dream.[/citation]

Oh, don't be a spoiled sport. As we embrace the Cloud, there are going to be failings. I'm sure now that this outage happened Apple will deploy more capacity, if that is an appropriate solution to whatever the problem was. "Don't hate the player...hate the game."

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]If you upgraded to an iphone 4S2, which the biggest selling point of the phine was a "beta" product called Sirii. Then yes, you do pay for Siri.Someone ask Siri if she can play crysis[/citation]

The biggest selling point of the phone is the fact that it has the highest performance CPU/GPU of any phone on the market, full stop.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]The biggest selling point of the phone is the fact that it has the highest performance CPU/GPU of any phone on the market, full stop.[/citation]

Watcha, I think that may be the biggest selling point for you. Yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the 4S buyers don't even KNOW it may have the highest performance CPU/GPU combination...or what that gives them. For a lot of 4S buyers its Siri and that its the latest Apple phone. ...I'm just say'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.