Apple's Siri Suffers Extended Service Outage

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]And while no one (almost no one) throws their phone around, most people have dropped their phones at one time or another. If that happens on concrete, damage occurs (I dropped my phone the 2nd day I owned it, but I haven't since then). I see a lot of phones with cracks on their screens.[/citation]

[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]The glass body of the iPhone does look and feel nice, but many other phones are much more durable. The question is, are you a Form over function kind of guy (iPhone body) or function over form kind of guy (most android bodies).Note: this has nothing to do with anything other than the durability of the body.[/citation]

I haven't ever dropped my phone, and I'd prefer it to look good and high quality than be droppable, personally. Each to their own.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I haven't ever dropped my phone, and I'd prefer it to look good and high quality than be droppable, personally. Each to their own.[/citation]
+10

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I haven't ever dropped my phone, and I'd prefer it to look good and high quality than be droppable, personally. Each to their own.[/citation]

The high quality part is subjective (ok, both are), but I agree the iPhone looks pretty.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]The high quality part is subjective (ok, both are), but I agree the iPhone looks pretty.[/citation]
I think, comparatively, we can agree that the iPhone's build quality/craftsmanship is at least as good as an current or past android device.

G

Waiting till it fails and then saying it was a beta is lame on Apples part. They never made it known that it was supposed to be beta because it wasn't. Microsoft may have some bugs when they launch a new product but at least they own up to it instead of saying "oh it was Windows 7 beta, didn't you know!"

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]lolapplelol[/nom]expect a 29.99 charge for the full version though.[/citation]

They wont ever charge for it.

[citation][nom]bradinmo[/nom]Waiting till it fails and then saying it was a beta is lame on Apples part. They never made it known that it was supposed to be beta because it wasn't. Microsoft may have some bugs when they launch a new product but at least they own up to it instead of saying "oh it was Windows 7 beta, didn't you know!"[/citation]

It has always been declared as a Beta. It has been on their website, clear as day, all along.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]They wont ever charge for it.It has always been declared as a Beta. It has been on their website, clear as day, all along.[/citation]
Watcha, you're using facts and logic...they may not be tolerated here very well, by some, where it concerns Apple.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
the iPhone looks pretty

I am glad someone thinks so. To me it looks like a locked-down coffin. And the Apple logo reminds me of technologically dumbed-down morons being cowed to relinquish their freedom and part with their money by propaganda like "Apple is safer and easier to use" .

Sorry, but Apple products are synonymous with ignorance technological per-literacy and being behind, way way way behind the technological curve, and nothing that symbolizes that can actually look good. My two cents.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]I am glad someone thinks so. To me it looks like a locked-down coffin. And the Apple logo reminds me of technologically dumbed-down morons being cowed to relinquish their freedom and part with their money by propaganda like "Apple is safer and easier to use" .Sorry, but Apple products are synonymous with ignorance technological per-literacy and being behind, way way way behind the technological curve, and nothing that symbolizes that can actually look good. My two cents.[/citation]

Yes, the iPhone 4S is way way way behind the technological curve, so are the MacBook Pros, iMacs, and Mac Pros...way way way way way way behind. :sarcastic:

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Unacceptable. I demand compensation! Not good enough, I say we throw a class-action suit at Apple. This will be their downfall; mark my words.

What? Too much? Well, that's what RIM got...

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Unacceptable. I demand compensation! Not good enough, I say we throw a class-action suit at Apple. This will be their downfall; mark my words.What? Too much? Well, that's what RIM got...[/citation]

As much as I want to see flaw in your statement...there isn't too too much. However, RIM's CORE functionality was down, not just their much touted blackberry messenger...and that's likely the difference most people would note. SIRI is not the iPhone's core function, but a feature (duh). ...and I'd not be surprised if some widget somewhere pondered a C.A. lawsuit because she was unavailable saying that they couldn't function properly without her assistance.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]http://www.apple.com/iphone/features/siri.html[/citation]
doesn't say beta anywhere in the page. So is not beta..

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]doesn't say beta anywhere in the page. So is not beta..[/citation]
That's likely because it wasn't advertised as Beta consistently and openly until if failed. The URL you've provided simply hasn't been updated...trust me, Apple is infallible, its Beta, and the outage was designed so their various teams could drill on response times...it was all planned. Sheesh. :sarcastic:

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]As much as I want to see flaw in your statement...there isn't too too much. However, RIM's CORE functionality was down, not just their much touted blackberry messenger...and that's likely the difference most people would note. SIRI is not the iPhone's core function, but a feature (duh). ...and I'd not be surprised if some widget somewhere pondered a C.A. lawsuit because she was unavailable saying that they couldn't function properly without her assistance.[/citation]
Yeah I know that there's a huge difference between Siri and BBX. Still, both devices had their main functionnality (ie.:phone) working. I don,t really care about that incident, I'm merely poiting out the ludicrousness of trying to sue a company into oblivion for a 3-day outage for a non-essential service. We sometimes see people without electricity for 1-5 days after a storm or other natural incident, but I've never seen anyone sue the electric company afterwards!

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
@zak_mckraken

Some people take themselves way too seriously and feel that sine they suffered the egregious inconvenience of not being able to use their blackberry for a few days that their safety or livelihood was somehow jeopardized by the outage itself and heads have to roll. If it was that critical to me I'd have just got another phone. I don't think I have to be compensated every time there's an outage. Heck, my cable internet goes out sometimes and so does the electricity.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]doesn't say beta anywhere in the page. So is not beta..[/citation]

Did you not notice the BETA in a yellow box right next to the big Siri at the start of add?

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]@zak_mckrakenSome people take themselves way too seriously and feel that sine they suffered the egregious inconvenience of not being able to use their blackberry for a few days that their safety or livelihood was somehow jeopardized by the outage itself and heads have to roll. If it was that critical to me I'd have just got another phone. I don't think I have to be compensated every time there's an outage. Heck, my cable internet goes out sometimes and so does the electricity.[/citation]

Although for most people this is probably true, but the lack of email does effect some peoples jobs if they work out in the field and require email services on the go. It definitely caused some issues for a couple in my office and it could have costs lots of money.

Siri on the other hand is not required to do the jobs it's used for. You can just as easily manually do the job.

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]Did you not notice the BETA in a yellow box right next to the big Siri at the start of add?[/citation]
dude you are late.. it was not there when i checked the page. there was no yellow little sign with beta..
Didn't say beta, noting, nada, finito.

there were not a beta sign anywhere when i check earlier this morning. they just updated..

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]aracheb[/nom]dude you are late.. it was not there when i checked the page. there was no yellow little sign with beta.. Didn't say beta, noting, nada, finito.there were not a beta sign anywhere when i check earlier this morning. they just updated..[/citation]

I saw that page a the moment it was posted, it had it there, though I admit, I read through the whole page before I went back up to the top and went, duh.

Status
Not open for further replies.