Apple's Success Pushing Carriers to Windows Phone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lorribot

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Something like a 40-35-25 split would be ideal and health, unfortunately Apple's iTunes/App store is a spoiler that makes moving between platforms less likely and ultimately will kill competition.
What would be good is for governments to force Apple to support iTunes at least on all platforms and not tie it in to just their own devices, but I can't see that happening anytime soon.
Still an Android iTunes App that means Apple has to pay 30% of all sales to Google has a certain back at you feeling to it.

G

Iphone is the best selling because they have one model right? Pretty sure android is outselling the iphone when you include all makes and models.

bigbaconeater

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]I do not think that any success of WP7.5/8 will affect the iPhone market. Most iPhone users (though not all) are either Apple enthusiasts, or people who are tech novices who learn a platform and then stick with it. Nither of those camps are going to be big on moving over to anything else. Android however is full of a 'value' market that looks for $/capability or $/features who are not going to be interested in iProducts due to upfront cost, but have been with Android only because it is what they could afford while meeting their needs.Still, I guess we should never underestimate the power of the gate keepers of a technology, which in this case is the cell service provider.[/citation]

Not to be argumentative but Samsung SII, driods,(all the high end phones) they are all $200 on contract the SAME price as a new iPhone $200!. I don't see how people keep saying the iPhone is so much more.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
I don't own an iPhone and am very much sold on Android, especially ICS on my GNex. Amazing and smooth OS. But I'm SICK of all the carrier bloat. This is one stance I actually wish google was more like Apple on: don't let carriers put their GARBAGE on my phone. I obviously wish Apple was more like google in letting customers control their purchased hardware. (they tried to tell us jailbreaking was illegal???) However, the carriers need to be reigned in, big time. Even manufacturers load often unnecessary junk on android's otherwise clean and efficient interface. It slows updates, stifles compatibility, and fragments the market beyond what words can describe.

usualsuspect82

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
[citation][nom]TheZander[/nom]I don't own an iPhone and am very much sold on Android, especially ICS on my GNex. Amazing and smooth OS. But I'm SICK of all the carrier bloat. This is one stance I actually wish google was more like Apple on: don't let carriers put their GARBAGE on my phone. I obviously wish Apple was more like google in letting customers control their purchased hardware. (they tried to tell us jailbreaking was illegal???) However, the carriers need to be reigned in, big time. Even manufacturers load often unnecessary junk on android's otherwise clean and efficient interface. It slows updates, stifles compatibility, and fragments the market beyond what words can describe.[/citation]

Such truer words could not have been said. I love the open nature of Android and I like having the ability to customize the phone the way I want with different UI's, having the option to root and try out different ROM's etc.

The only reason I strayed from Android was because I know Android based phones are so insanely popular (and affordable) that the what 5% to 10% of the people who actually want to put the specs on their phones to use have to void their warranty just to take advantage of all the features that the Android OS has to offer that to me it seems like Google just plain and simple doesn't care about how fragmented Android really has become.

usualsuspect82

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
*Edit* I meant to say that 5% to 10% of the people who want their phones to be able to take advantage of all that Android OS has to offer they have to void the phones warranty.

My apologies.

ruszip1

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Competition breeds innovation. Don't count android out just yet. I do hope linux has a few curve balls to throw apple's way soon. Next at bat, Ubuntu.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
[citation][nom]usualsuspect82[/nom]Such truer words could not have been said. I love the open nature of Android and I like having the ability to customize the phone the way I want with different UI's, having the option to root and try out different ROM's etc. The only reason I strayed from Android was because I know Android based phones are so insanely popular (and affordable) that the what 5% to 10% of the people who actually want to put the specs on their phones to use have to void their warranty just to take advantage of all the features that the Android OS has to offer that to me it seems like Google just plain and simple doesn't care about how fragmented Android really has become.[/citation]

Google is actually finally showing some concern for fragmentation. ICS addresses this big time, with the same OS for both tablets and phones. It's going to get better for devs the more unified and similar both platforms' OS's can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.