Approved: Apple's 'Anti-Sexting' Software Patent

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toallthehaters

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
@Lekko and @maestintaolius

not everyone speaks the English language with numbers. With that, when the originator sends a text to someone who needs it in ENGLISH then the software would kick in.

Also, you assume there isn't a framework to add in |337 speak. So assume away and make straw-man arguments on how it sucks.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]toallthehaters[/nom]@Lekko and @maestintaoliusnot everyone speaks the English language with numbers. With that, when the originator sends a text to someone who needs it in ENGLISH then the software would kick in. Also, you assume there isn't a framework to add in |337 speak. So assume away and make straw-man arguments on how it sucks.[/citation]
Fair point.
1337 speak seems so goddam cool when you are 16 years old.
Everyone else just thinks you are being a dick when you use it.
Here's a neat trick, learn to use real English and stop being such a r3t4rd

turbotong

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
Dude, I agree with you guys that this patent is retarded. Text filtering has been in place since forever, and so have parental controls. Hell, even Battle.net, COD servers, IM clients, forums, pretty much everything else already employs this for inappropriate content. Most email servers do this as wlel. Windows came out with its parental controls for vista (maybe XP?). The patent office needs to get a clue.
Maybe I should go become a patent lawyer and make some money.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Step 1. Release products with mass market appeal. Yeah, I hate when companies do that.Step 2. Brainwash owners of products into unthinking loyal drones. By this, I assume you actually meant 'ensure that the products deliver such good customer satisfaction that you establish a good brand reputation. Again, I hate when companies do that. Step 3. Test control of drones by releasing inferior broken new product and watch it sell out. By 'inferior broken', I assume you are referring to the one flaw which is on the IPhone 4 which in reality affects nobody at all, doesn't prevent it working, and doesn't detract from the several other ways in which the IPhone 4 is better than pretty much every other phone available?Step 4. Convince Drones any problem with new product is caused by them. As bizarre as it may seem for me to back this up, this is actually true. The people who desperately tried to find the 'pressure points' on the phone to get it to lose signal are not normal users of the phone. During normal use there are no problems whatsoever. Step 5. Convince Drones your values are their values and implement forced controls on your products. Yeah, I'm sure all the parent 'drones' needed convincing that their children shouldn't be sexting each other. Damn companies who implement policies that all parents agree with. Step 6. Convice Drones to lash out at others not sharing these values; and to push your products. Step 7. Global Domination. IT HAS BEGUN!Time to stock up on Ammo and Droids!This is pretty much nonsense.I am not an Apple fan boy, I'm not an Apple hate-boy either, I think either is pathetic. How can a grown man such as yourself, and pretty much everyone else on this forum, have such an insecure hatred for a COMPANY, pretty much based on the fact that they have an established reputation and a loyal customer following due to their past performance. ANY good company AIMS to deliver the goods to their customers on such a regular basis that they get some loyalty, to just blindly hate on a company for no logical reason is beyond pathetic, to be honest.[/citation]

It appears you are taking seriously a post that didn't take itself seriously in the first place (i.e a joke).

Besides, even if the post to which you were replying to was actually serious, i'd say you were enacting step 6 right about now...

dustcrusher

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]That's why schools in the US don't teach how the government was REALLY supposed to work, or how the checks and balances were neutered with things like the 17th amendment.[/citation]

So appointing fill-in senators until an election can be held is bad? I think I see where you are going with this, but care to spell it out for me?

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]toallthehaters[/nom]@Lekko and @maestintaoliusnot everyone speaks the English language with numbers. With that, when the originator sends a text to someone who needs it in ENGLISH then the software would kick in. Also, you assume there isn't a framework to add in |337 speak. So assume away and make straw-man arguments on how it sucks.[/citation]
And my my point is that you can throw all the filters you want on it and it won't stop hormone-filled kids from finding out ways to say hormone-filled things to each other that get around them. Anyone who thinks this is underestimating their kids' creativity and ingenuity when working to clandestinely usurp authority. And, to be honest, if your/my kids aren't smart enough to get around brute-force filters like these to say what they want to say... well, the world needs ditch-diggers too. Sure, you can block out leetspeak, but then kids will just use normal words in code or acronyms to say what they want to say. My point is this technology isn't going to do anything to 'save the children'.

fa_q2

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
First off, this is completely pointless even if it worked as advertised. The problem with sexting is NOT the ‘dirty’ talk or language, it is pictures. That is where all the problems and future harm is coming from. Dirty talk is something that is going to happen and blocking content is a joke not to mention these types of barriers are bad parenting. Parenting is NOT using an electronic nanny to remove capability, that is coping out of actual parenting.

Secondly, the idea that the parents can get a program and block anything from their children is a sad joke at best. I am reminded of when I was a child and my mother installed net nanny on her computer to block out any adult sites. The sad fact that it did absolutely nothing to stop me from doing anything I wanted but it did manage to prevent her from going onto some of her own sites that had adult discussions. Even worse, she would call me down so I crack the protection real quick so she could get to her site. Even doing it in front of her she was unable to close the backdoors I used. The only things these programs will block are the parents themselves. You cannot control children through exposure, the WILL be exposed. You can only give them the tools to deal with such situations and hopefully they will make the correct decisions.

jaygee02

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]...
ANY good company AIMS to deliver the goods to their customers on such a regular basis that they get some loyalty, to just blindly hate on a company for no logical reason is beyond pathetic, to be honest.
...[/citation]

Tall poppy syndrome? People hate to see others becoming successful. Problem these days is there's so many ways for people to whine about it instead of just not buying their products and leaving others to do what they want.

G

TBH, slang terms will just evolve quicker in tune with the banned list of words

Status
Not open for further replies.