Apps and Games to Get Rated for Violence, Sex, Drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]Angry Birds: Rated M for Mature[/citation]

Still gonna need parents that give a crap... so... what's the point?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The obvious question here, is "Why would you need to rate content on a device that you legally have to be 18 to use?"

Now if as a parent you decide you want to sign your child up for a Google/Live account (you must be 18 to have one) or iTunes (must be 13.) Then you as a parent take the responsibility of teaching your child about access to the internet. If they access violent or adult themed content its your problem, not the creator or the distributor of said content.

The only place that could use a rating is iTunes, which already has an internal process keeping everything above PG-13 out.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Back in the day when I worked at a retail store, I remember on more than one occasion where I denied selling a game to a kid because he was too young... then having an annoyed parent come in to pay for the game anyways.

The rating systems are not a replacement for poor/lazy parenting.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Does anyone even pay attention to this crap?
I mean, WalMart is the only one that peseudo enforces the crap, if you find a checkout lady that does the actual card check............. Even then, it's the parents that end up comeing back(annoyingly) to buy the game for the kid.....

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Does anyone even pay attention to this crap?I mean, WalMart is the only one that peseudo enforces the crap, if you find a checkout lady that does the actual card check............. Even then, it's the parents that end up comeing back(annoyingly) to buy the game for the kid.....[/citation]
Gamestop also seems to do it, but none of them enforce well. And frankly I'd rather give my kid just about any video game (except for a few like L4D and GTA) than have them seeing who knows what on the Internet. At least if I was to buy a game for my child I would know what they are playing and be able to look it up. Also, you can just tell by the way someone acts, looks and dresses if they are mature enough. There are a lot of teens who I would sell an M game to, but if you're under 13- you're really just too young.
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]Back in the day when I worked at a retail store, I remember on more than one occasion where I denied selling a game to a kid because he was too young... then having an annoyed parent come in to pay for the game anyways.The rating systems are not a replacement for poor/lazy parenting.[/citation]
I completely agree +1.

tanjo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Does anyone even pay attention to this crap?I mean, WalMart is the only one that peseudo enforces the crap, if you find a checkout lady that does the actual card check............. Even then, it's the parents that end up comeing back(annoyingly) to buy the game for the kid.....[/citation]
That's true but not the point. It (rating system) is just a reason for parents not to blame the games for something bad that their kids learned from that game. The game's rating is just a disclaimer of some sort. Devs/publishers need to cover their bases. It's narrow minded to not implement a rating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.