architecture and graphic design

arc a

Honorable
May 23, 2013
Thanks in advance for any advice:
1. What is your budget? 2500 including Windows 8, MS Office Pro: already own the rest of the software I need

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17in

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1900x1080 or retina like the new toshiba: except they only have 15"

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need? occasional plane flights: 5 hours regularly

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Video editing, 3D graphics (3Ds Max), out of 3D architectural software (Autodesk Revit), full Adobe CS6 suite

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500Gb is plenty...I like Solid State for stabilitry and speed

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3-4 years average

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?ROM/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. No preference: I've had success with a custom desktop from Cyberpower (gaming computer used for work), and run Dells and Sonys too in the past. Tried specifying a custom machine at xotic but quickly priced out at $3800...a little too rich for me...

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Graphic design requires high resolution work: we'd probably buy an apple and a retina display if it wasn't for the windows based architectural software we run, and the exorbitant price for macs. Also, want option for 27" desktop peripheral screen in addition to laptop screen to minimize zooming. Reflexively asking for 16Gb RAM. Told that Revit uses cache very efficiently...Assuming everything is 64bit now?

Portability is not our defining issue: speed and performance and durability are.
Thanks!