Are Remastered Games Worth Your Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
console owners are getting what they deserve ie, abused.
there the idiots that kept buying the original xbox even when it was shown to be unfit for its purpose with a 30+ percent fail rate. instead of getting a refund they kept accepting replacements and in a lot f cases multiple replacements. all the while paying extortionate amounts for games...
the devs and hardware manufacturers took note of this and started price gouging. because they seen there customers were tied in and willing to accep the reeming they were getting... as the years went on it got worse and worse to the point, now we have a situation where console owners are paying ridiculous amounts for games (often 100 or more) and getting the likes of assassins creed unity. a game that is in essence just a re-skin of the previous title with a few story tweaks to make it look like your playing something new... same with fifa, pez and so on. the fun part is the devs tried the same tricks on pc and for the most part its backfired on them. so yeah console owners especially xbox owners are responsible for the poor attitude and lack of development in the games market and until they wake up to the fact things wont change.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Remastering relatively new games with already quite good graphics e.g. XBOX or PSOne games is not interesting.
It is more interesting to remake those ancient titles from C64, NES, SNES, etc.
Remake not remaster!

MasterChief118

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
console owners are getting what they deserve ie, abused.
there the idiots that kept buying the original xbox even when it was shown to be unfit for its purpose with a 30+ percent fail rate. instead of getting a refund they kept accepting replacements and in a lot f cases multiple replacements. all the while paying extortionate amounts for games...
the devs and hardware manufacturers took note of this and started price gouging. because they seen there customers were tied in and willing to accep the reeming they were getting... as the years went on it got worse and worse to the point, now we have a situation where console owners are paying ridiculous amounts for games (often 100 or more) and getting the likes of assassins creed unity. a game that is in essence just a re-skin of the previous title with a few story tweaks to make it look like your playing something new... same with fifa, pez and so on. the fun part is the devs tried the same tricks on pc and for the most part its backfired on them. so yeah console owners especially xbox owners are responsible for the poor attitude and lack of development in the games market and until they wake up to the fact things wont change.

PC games aren't really a great example either. The entire industry is a mess. All of the games I bought last year on PC (except Alien:Isolation) needed a patch to get it to a decent standard.

Willie0

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
A game would become old as time passes by that is why it needs to be updated from time-to-time. Players would get bored if its the same process all over again.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

you seem to have missed my point in amongst my ramblings...
which was it started because xbox owners didnt ask for refunds instead of replacements.

as for pc games. in some respects yes but most of the time when a game needs a zero day patch its a console port or was dev'd on console.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
Remasters are fine, assuming you've never played the original. For some, that convenience is worth the extra price as they have extra money laying around to burn.

The things that really piss me off with the gaming industry lately is paying full price for a game, only getting half the content, then paying another $250+ just to get all the DLC that should have been included in the first place. Then to salt the wound, offer a complete edition 6 months later... I'm looking at you Capcom and NetherRealm Studios..... thank goodness for return policies.

Marshall Honorof

Editor
Herald
Aug 1, 2013
Actually, the original piece covered a few PC games as well, but I eventually decided it was a different kettle of fish and focused just on console remasters instead.

The funny thing about PC games is that sometimes you need remasters, and sometimes you don't. A game like Age of Empires II HD is awesome, because the original game can't run on Windows 7 without an incredible amount of jiggery-pokery. Conversely, a game like Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is cool, but there are already so many mods that beef it up for modern systems, I'm not sure it reinvents the whole experience.

I don't object to companies producing remaster for the Xbone and PS4, but I do object to them charging full price if the remaster only comes with one game. As I said in my God of War III Remastered review, God of War III is still a great game, but you can't justify a $40 price tag for a single title when you can buy the entire God of War series on PS3 for $35.

Vlad Rose

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014

You do have a point about PCs being a different kettle of fish due to varying OS's and hardware changes that occur on them. At that point though, it kind of blurs the line between Remake and Remaster as some titles would need major overhauls done to run on modern hardware. DOS games are a good example of that. Other titles are ones that relied on older versions of technology (Last Bronx needing an early version of Quicktime, Road Rash not liking newer versions of Direct X) or relied on the way an older OS handled things (network stacks, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.