Are the days of 3D televisions over?

Jul 28, 2015
I've noticed over the past 2 years the number of 3Ds tvs to choose from has dropped drastically. There are only a few 3D tvs now, and they are extremely overpriced, the cheapest I found was $2,500. Back in 2014, there were too many 3D tvs, and I read somewhere they made up 40% of tv sales. On a few sites some people are saying 3D tvs are dead, and in a few years, 3D blu rays will not be available.

In 2014 I bought a 1080p 3D samsung 45" for $600. The picture quality is so good people often mistake it for 4k (I don't know how, but they do) It has been the best tv I have ever owned. I have a 3D 7.1 channel home theater, and a large majority of the movies I have bought since 2014 are 3D.

It makes me sad that something once highly desired is now fading. It also surprised me TV makers decided to move away from 3D. It enhances the movie experience, at least for me.
The only reason I could think people did not care to buy 3D was they did not want to pay for a 3D blu ray player. Or without surround sound, 3D is lack luster? Though, a soundbar and sub-woofer would be better than nothing, and there are a few okay ones under $300.
I know for some 3D isn't that important, but at one point 40% of consumers did think it was.

I wonder if the reason for 3D being dropped by companies is because of less people buying it, or that companies did not care to make it anymore? It could have not been cost affected, or maybe they cared more about 4K and making TVs smarter? Perhaps a little of all of these.

My TV is outdated now, and with movies being released in 4k, I wanted to upgrade. But I don't want to give up 3D, I enjoy it too much. The sound and picture quality I get is far better than any theater (aside iMax) could offer, and more comfortable that I don't bother going to the theater unless it's iMax.
But now 3D glasses are extremely hard to find, and I had to revert to the cheaper brand that takes batteries after my original pairs stopped working. The rechargeable ones where almost non existent since companies stopped making them.

At this point it seems like people using 3D TV technology are going to have to move on, and revert back to 2D. Most people can't afford a $4,000 TV, especially if a TV with the same features, size, and picture quality minus the 3D is only $1,000. And if 3D blu-rays do become rare in the next year, there's not point to buy a TV for 3D. And there is no point to keep a TV with a inferior picture quality either.

It is frustrating to me that most big budget movies are now in 3D, making going to the theater (and for me that means overpriced iMax) to be able to get the full experience since I will soon not be able to get it at home.

It will be interesting to see what is released in 2017. If 3D continues on it's path, I will be returning to 2D next year, and buying a 4k Samsung curved TV. I don't want that to happen, watching Mad Max Fury Road and Guardians of the Galaxy is 3D is something I enjoy very much.

I am interested to see other people's thoughts on 3D TVs. Do you like it? Is it dying off? Are you sad or happy if it is?

Jul 28, 2015
People said that about 4k, and look where that is now.
But companies allowed 4k to grow by making it more available. But they took 3d away, and made only their high end models have it.
Blu-rays sell many 3D copies, and there is a demand for 3D. People were not happy about star wars 7 3d being released so late, so clearly the demand is there.

People want it, but companies don't seem to care. It seems every artical I read about samsung tvs has people leaving comments about tvs not being 3d. And on amazon and best buy there are many questions about people asking if the TV is 3D.

People don't want it to be a fad, but the companies that produce the tvs are going to make it one.

USAFRet

Illustrious
For about the 4th iteration, 3D TV and movies is over/never got started.

3D has been tried (and given up) for decades. Gimmicky, need special glasses, no real content, expensive, need to sit in the one chair in the room....

One day, your 80" reasonable price "TV" will do some sort of 3D thing. But not anytime soon.

Jul 28, 2015
Maybe they were gimmicks years ago. But in 2014 they were easy to aquire. I paid $600 for my 45" samsung smart 3d tv. It had one of the best pictures at the time. Glasses were $20, 3D movies only a few dollars more than regular and most blu rays are combo packs of 3d, standard blu ray, and digital copies.
I don't know what type of glasses can only be worn in a certain postion. I can lay on the floor and the image is still perfect. The only thing I don't like is changing the batteries, but that's a minor thing and they last for months. And rechargable glasses were $40

Almost evey movie I have bought since 2014 has been 3d. Aside from Deadpool which never had a 3d release. Only recently did 3d movies become harder to find.

Home theater set up was easy. Most a/v recivers have 3d, and high speed hdmi cables are cheep. 3d blu ray players at the time were only $40 more than normal blu ray players.

Now it's a different story, and 3d is more trouble then it's worth.
Overpriced glasses, overpriced tvs, and overpriced blu ray players.

If companies had only continued to make more affordable and better 3d products more people would have it (LG was testing a glasses free 3d tv)

USAFRet

Illustrious
Glasses were $20, blah, blah...
changing the batteries

It's a TV.
If I have to switch between glasses and no glasses when I go from watching the news to watching a movie...that is a non-starter.

It is still far too gimmicky, for no real gain.

When and if the changeover is as easy as from black and white to color, or CRT to flatscreen...then maybe.
So far, it isn't.

The buying public has apparently spoken.

TRENDING THREADS