Are these upgrades possible on my ASUS Geforce GTX97? Aiming to use VR

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Okay so i own both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, also do some 4K gaming.

I recently upgraded my GPU to a ASUS Geforce GTX970 about 2-3 months ago.

I purchased my custom gaming rig from Overclockers about 3 years ago.

My hardware specs include:
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor @ 4.40GHz
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9
1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
BeQuiet Dark Rock 2 CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2)
Corsair 2013 Edition Gamer Series GS 600W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

Ive made sure that i switched my fan on the machine from Auto to manual and have it on full. Also i use the Asus GPU Tweak Tool for overclocking the GPU and I've made sure that is also set on Overlock settings and not the silent gaming mode.

Most things work fine, however i can not play all VR Vive games with high consistant frame rates on full settings. Games like Hover Junkies, Chair: The Room, The Gallery can sometimes stutter like crazy on full settings (low fps i presume).

My question is that i feel that i should upgrade my Graphics Cards to nVidia such as gtx1070 or gtx1080 etc... but will this work with my current Processor, motherboard, power supply etc...?

Also I think that i should upgrade my processor is this possible with my current motherboard etc as it all currently stands? and which processor would you recommend i go if i go for the gtx1070/1080? Im assuming it would be a i7 processor?

I want to upgrade and then sell my current gtx970 which is almost as good as new!

Thanks!

Solution

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016

It shouldn't be in the middle, usually it's along an edge of the motherboard - looks like the bottom edge from the pics.

Also, I wouldn't worry about either of those things really, just route the cable from underneath the MoBo through one of the holes. Your case has a bunch of cable management openings for running cables/wires through the back side of the MoBo. If the cable that comes with the kit is not long enough, you can buy a USB 3.0 20-pin male to female extension for like $4-$6 online (I had to get one like a month ago). That would solve all of the concerns you mentioned ezpz.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Okay thanks mate, you've been a big help with everything. Thanks a lot!