Are these upgrades possible on my ASUS Geforce GTX97? Aiming to use VR

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Okay so i own both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, also do some 4K gaming.

I recently upgraded my GPU to a ASUS Geforce GTX970 about 2-3 months ago.

I purchased my custom gaming rig from Overclockers about 3 years ago.

My hardware specs include:
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor @ 4.40GHz
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9
1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
BeQuiet Dark Rock 2 CPU Cooler (Socket 775 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 2011 / AM2 / AM2+ / AM3 / FM1 / FM2)
Corsair 2013 Edition Gamer Series GS 600W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply

Ive made sure that i switched my fan on the machine from Auto to manual and have it on full. Also i use the Asus GPU Tweak Tool for overclocking the GPU and I've made sure that is also set on Overlock settings and not the silent gaming mode.

Most things work fine, however i can not play all VR Vive games with high consistant frame rates on full settings. Games like Hover Junkies, Chair: The Room, The Gallery can sometimes stutter like crazy on full settings (low fps i presume).

My question is that i feel that i should upgrade my Graphics Cards to nVidia such as gtx1070 or gtx1080 etc... but will this work with my current Processor, motherboard, power supply etc...?

Also I think that i should upgrade my processor is this possible with my current motherboard etc as it all currently stands? and which processor would you recommend i go if i go for the gtx1070/1080? Im assuming it would be a i7 processor?

I want to upgrade and then sell my current gtx970 which is almost as good as new!

Thanks!

Solution

joshmoyer

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

No matter what brand you go with, you're gonna have to wait. They're all backordered. It sucks but that's what happens with new releases. There's no point in getting your money back and getting a different card.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Yep apart from the founders edition, there is plenty available of the founders editions from all companies, apart from the ASUS FE which is due in next few days or so. All other FE's are in stock

joshmoyer

Estimable
Jun 13, 2015

Performance would be identical as far as FPS goes. Benchmarks will show a slight performance increase for FTW vs FE. Its not worth it to me, I'd go with the FTW because of the better cooler and looks, its worth waiting to me.

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016
I play all of the games you mentioned using a single Asus Strix GTX 970. Upgrading your gpu may very well help you play them too, just odd that I can play them no problem using the same card. I'm on skylake for what it's worth.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

well that is definitely odd. It could be the processor then? I have a gtx1080 on preorder anyway just waiting for stock to come, will then test to see if it makes any difference or if stutter is still there.

You are right though most of the games run fine on a gtx970, however there are a few that cause problems a big one for me is The Gallery on Full Settings. There are other smaller games in VR that also cause all sort of issues, however i think that might be because of bad optimised code in the indie games rather then the hardware.

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016

That 1080 should be amazing. All the reviews I've seen have been positive. Let us know your take on it once you get that bad boy. I'm considering one myself, so your first-hand account will be appreciated :D

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Okay i decided to change the EVGA FTW order, started to get fed up of waiting and switched to Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 instead. It got shipped out today and should be with me on monday.

I am also now thinking of just going for the full upgrade cycle (this just never ends does it?), and upgrade my PSU, motherboard and CPU - all to something much newer and better.

However i would really need some help on this, i would look for:

GPU - Gigabyte G1 Gaming gtx1080. Already ordered.

Power Supply - Need a higher wattage. Currently have a silent 500w, would like something maybe around the 800w range or higher, also must be silent.

CPU - The real reason for the big upgrade, something in the new gen.

Motherboard - Has to be changed because of the CPU. My current motherboard does not support the newer CPU's, which is why this is a must change! It needs to be SLI compatible, future proof, have more USB's then my current motherboard (blame VR headsets for this).

Im thinking also maybe to change the Fan to a Silent liquid cooling one!

I guess all the power supply come attached with the same cables and are all the same size, hence i should not have trouble fitting it into the same space as what i currently am using with my PSU.
CPU is also not an issue.

However, motherboard, seems like a huge issue for me, theres so many options, its very confusing, i don't know which one i would go for. Also are all motherboards the same size? Would it perfectly replace my current motherboard perfectly? One thing i don't understand is that some motherboards say they have much more USB inputs but when you look at the picture of the back, they all seem to have the same 10 slots?! So where are the remaining USB's?

Apart from GPU I've never attempted to install pc parts before, so i would be slightly worried. Maybe i should just take it to a store and get them to supply me with the parts and install it all for me?!

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016

First of all, what is your budget?

for future proof motherboard, you probably want a z170 board. All Mobo's are NOT the same size. If you want sli down the road, you'll be best off with a standard ATX board. If your current board is ATX, it should be the same size, and thus fit or replace it fine.

Building a PC is easier than it may seem. Watch some Youtube videos and take your time. It will be worth it.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Thank you for your response.

I have not really thought about budget but as ive already spent £630 on gpu, im thinking maybe the same amount at around another £600 for all the other parts. I think that is roughly around $900-1000.

Obviously i would like to spend as little as i can but at same time i dont want to compromise on quality as i dont want to update for a while after.

I think what makes it seem difficult to build is all the inputs on the motherboard and all the short cables from the psu, and trying to cram everything in with limited cables.

I have contacted the place where i bought my customised pc from 3 years ago (overclockers) and they have kindly said they would do a free upgrade/installation as long as i prepurchase the parts from there store.

Hence, i just need to decide what to get i guess.

Are these motherboards ATX? Ie they would work with my current setup? Theres so many with small alterations and similar names such as these that it is confusing why one is worth alot more then the other:

MSI X99A SLI Plus Intel X99
MSI X99A Gaming 7 Intel X99

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016

I looked back and saw your motherboard, I believe that's an ATX board so any other ATX board should fit in your case. I'll post a part list below for you, but you should do some research on your own so that you can decide for yourself what you need/want.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $587.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-27 09:16 EDT-0400

This is what I would spend the $600 on. You could opt for an unlocked i5 if you want and save a couple bucks ($20 on the CPU and the MoBo will be cheaper too since you would not need a z170 board). Here is what something like that might look like:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty H170 Performance ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($92.00 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $562.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-27 09:22 EDT-0400

The SSD is something you'll want either way, they make such a huge difference over HDD's. Anyway, now you have an idea of what you can spend those $600 on. If I were you, I would do some research on parts and decide what is important to you. Also, if you intend to overclock you will probably want a better CPU cooler - the Kraken x61 is great, Corsair also makes good liquid coolers.

Also, I know it seems intimidating to build it all yourself, especially with all the cables and stuff. I promise it's a lot easier than you think. If you watch some videos and follow the advice given you will be fine. Your motherboard manual and PSU manual will tell you exactly what every cable is for and where it goes connected.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Thank you for the extended list of recommended parts, i will take a look. Some things though that i noticed straight away:

- I think id like to go for a i7 processor instead of i5. Also which is the newest one is it Skylake or Haswell?
- Im assuming this power supply is a really good one? And pretty silent? I already have a 600watts PSU, is there anything i can go for that is better (and more future proof) then this one you selected? Maybe a 850-1000watts PSU instead?
- SSD Storage i already have installed, i can reuse that one.
- 16GB Ram i already have installed aswell.
- Id like to go for a silent as possible build, so will probably choose something like the Kraken x61 liquid cooler like you recommended.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Are you also able to help me with understanding one thing please. I think its a case of the GPU overheating, but the gpu is the new one that i changed to only 2 months ago: Asus Strix gtx970.

I'm having one major issue. At times when playing a game (maybe after 30-60mins), the screen will go black and display a small message in bottom right corner of the monitor saying something like "No Display Detected". I cant remember the exact message!

Then i can basically do nothing, audio carries on playing, but no inputs or video seems to work! The reason why i know no inputs are working is because I've tried ctrl +tab out of the game when the screen is black and have even tried ctrl alt dlt to restart the computer.

Nothing seems to work!

On the Asus GPU software, initially i always used GAMING mode with silent fan OFF. I also made sure that the fans in my PC was set to full Manual On. As setting it to automatic would cause the above issue to happen a lot sooner.

I then started switching to the Overclocking mode in the ASUS software and thought maybe it would help solve the problem! Surprisingly it did for a few weeks, i was even able to play very heavy gpu games such as The Division in 4K Resolution and with many of the settings on high. I could play for a few good hours and it worked perfectly!

However, since the past weekend, even though I'm still selecting the overclocking mode, most games are now doing the black screen problem after an hour or so of play

I don't remember changing anything, the only thing that i can think of is that once i tried changing the PC fans to automatic as manual on Full was making to much noise. This crashed with black screen quite quickly, so i changed back to the Manual Full mode!

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016

i7 is great, but more expensive. If you want to stick to your budget, you'll need to skimp somewhere else to go with the i7. Skylake is the newest - i7-6700 or i7-6700k (k = unlocked for overclocking).

That power supply is very good, it's platinum rated and very efficient. You can go for something with more wattage but keep in mind that graphics cards are also more efficient now and do not require as much power. Your 1080 for example usually is around 180w with like 300w peak. You could also go for a Gold rated PSU, just make sure you look for something at least semi-modular. EVGA, Corsair, SeaSonic, and Rosewill all make some really good PSU's. Use this to calculate how much power you will need: http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

The RAM you have is DDR3, you'll need DDR4 for skylake. They have different number of pins - 240 DDR3 vs 288 DDR4.

If you are really looking for something quiet, you may want to update your case or buy some sound dampening foam and install some of it along the inner panels of your case. Here are some good silent cases:

http://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/cooler-master-case-sil652kkn2,fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbk,fractal-design-case-fdcadefsbkw,phanteks-case-phec416pswbk/

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013

Right, thanks for explains all this! Thats a very big help!!! Im not to fixed on my budget so i think i would most likely go for the i7 one.

For the power supply, the reason why i thought about something higher then 750watts is incase i want to go for SLI in the future, that would very quickly increase the wattage of the system especially if you are saying 300 is peak. 2 times the peak is already 600watts! I reckon 1000watts is a good one to go for but hey what do i know? :)

As for the case, my cases already a good silent case which already has sound dampening panels installed! So i should be good for that.

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016

no problem mate, happy to help. Keep us updated!

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Hi again,

I finally received my gigabyte gtx1080 card and it just about fitted, thank god for that! Otherwise i thought that i would have to send it back and wait for the FTW ones to come in stock.

The pc just seems a lot snappier now with this card, everything seems to be running smoother. I think i will currently hold back on purchasing the new motherboard, psu, ram and cpu.

However, I wanted to install this extended card for extra USB slots, can you please check that the following card can be installed on my current motherboard?

Current motherboard is:
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

USB Extender i wanted to get is:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FPIMJEW?psc=1&smid=A5JH7MGCI556L

Please see the pics of the inside of my PC and see if it will work and fit inside:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7904287/thumb_IMG_1804_1024.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7904287/thumb_IMG_1805_1024.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7904287/thumb_IMG_1806_1024.jpg

Thanks.

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4144#sp

According to the specs from Gigabyte's website for that board, there is a USB 3.0 header, so you should be fine.

jpatrick2

Commendable
May 4, 2016

There seems to be a 20-pin right between the PSU and the last PCI slot - it would be the longer of the two available connectors there. It should also be labeled as "3.0" or something. If that's not it, just look around the edges of the board for something that looks exactly like the one I'm talking about.

Killer Nads

Honorable
Apr 30, 2013
Ok thanks mate, your right i think that is it in the middle! Thats so close to the gpu fans!!! Isnt that going to limit the airflow on the gpu and potentially make it get hotter as theres no space for the fans to breathe!!

Second worry is what about if i go for sli in future? Does that mean i would need to remove this usb card as it would most likely get in the way in the middle of the two??