Are Toshiba Satellite laptops worth purchasing or not?

satycorn

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
Hi everyone,
I am in a desperate need of a laptop right now because I don't have a computer at the moment and I have a dozen of school-work to complete before holidays. So I was looking for something used and affordable (I can't pay more than $85), not one of those "beasts" that are made for gaming, etc. I want it for surfing the net, having decent stats and running relatively fast, also it would be great if it could support Windows 7 if I did a maximum upgrade to it.
However, I was aiming at the Toshiba Satellite, since they are cheap on eBay, but a friend of mine really put me off by saying that those are the most defective laptops, he knows a lot of people that have had problems with them, etc etc. Is it true? I want to get one of the A or M series. I've found great deals.
Could someone please clarify things up for me? Have you had any experience with these laptops, are they any durable and good or not?
Please let me know, I'd be very grateful.
Thanks!

americanbrian

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I still have my old Toshiba Satellite. I keep it as a backup in case something goes wrong with my "beast".

It is one of the most servicable laptops I have seen. I upgraded the CPU and RAM and HDD over the years. No disassembly required (slots on bottom open to expose the ram, hdd and CPU)

Also I overclocked the crap out of it for the last year or so (1.73 to 2.4 GHz) and it still runs great.

Windows seven works fine on it ( 2Gb RAM , single core Centrino @ 1.73/2.4 when OCed, 320 IDE 7200RPM PMR HDD)

I personally think it was a great little machine.