Are Used Game Sales Hurting the Industry?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
and 120 dollars for two games is redic. if theywant more sales lower the price. after all the game costs about $.03 for the cd andprobably another 12 per copy to publish, advertise, etc.

jdpraise

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I've read every comment thus far and am surprised that the comments have been so simplistic of the problem.

No games are not produced for $.15 unless you are selling astronomical amounts. The supply chain alone accounts for at least as much.

When buying a license you are subject to the terms of the agreement. You should not be allowed to resell the license, could you sell your driver's license?

A developer (and publisher for that matter) are entitled to a percentage for every sale of a product. Especially in the economy which is seeing development studio's closing in increasing numbers.

People's expectation of a game is unrealistic. People will pay $80 for a 2 hour sporting event, $50 for a 2-3 hour dinner, $12 for a movie (no treats), $100 and upwards for a concert and people have a hard time with $60 for 10 to 25 hours? My history in gaming goes back to Wizardry 1 with 100's of gaming hours.. so I understand this argument, but times are changing.

Episodic gaming is a good idea in theory, however would make much more sense if the episodes were developed simultaneously with the core game so installments would be fast and furious and offer more, in a timely manner.

Software DRM is horrible.

Game keys should be tied to accounts and activated. Simultaneous versions of one account should not be allowed to be played concurrently. 12 million WoW accounts log in daily, internet access isn't an excuse anymore. At the very least a limited number of non- internet accesses could be available, and require internet connectivity periodically.

Lastly to the person quoted from EB Canada, who are you fooling 'popular games don't end up in increased amounts on the resale shelves?' Have they never stepped into one of their own stores and looked at the shelves?

Status
Not open for further replies.