Aspire 8730ZG screen goes blank on start up

Petsnco

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
When I switch it on it powers up shows the Acer start screen with the press F2 for setup in the bottom left corner then goes black. I can't get into the setup or anything as there is no time before it goes black. Have restarted it without the battery and it is still the same.

Any ideas? Thank you need to use ASAP

If I leave it running it stays black, if I then close it and open it again the Windows login screen appears for a few seconds then it goes black again. So it has loaded Windows and is working there is just no display

cdrkf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Sounds like a faulty motherboard to be honest. It's turning off too quickly for it to be HDD related. Out of interest does the cpu fan spin up very fast before it powers off or does it just drop out?

cdrkf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

It could be an overheating issue. I'm not sure what the underside of that laptop is like, however hopefully there is a removable cover over the CPU heatsink / fan assembly. If there is, remove this and check for dust clogging the cooler. I had an old Asus laptop that started overheating and it turned out a thick 'blanket' of dust had formed between the fan and the cooling fins over several years and that was stopping the air cooling the cpu down.

If that's happening the system could be triggering the overheat safety mechanism and shutting the machine down again to prevent damage.

cdrkf

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Hmm, in that case I'm not sure what else you can do. Chances are the motherboard is dead.

Petsnco

Estimable
Oct 30, 2015
Update, the screen was not blank after all, it has no back light so it looked like the screen was blank, shine a ligh on it and the display is there, going to get replacement inverter, then hopefully it wll be OK