Aspire S7-392-9460 vs. Surfrace Pro 2

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hey guys,

I am a junior mechanical engineering student and need a new laptop. My current laptop is a T420. It is heavy, hurts my back, and is starting to have all sorts of weird issues. I want something light, portable, fast, and with good battery life.

It needs to be able to run CAD applications with decent fluidity (Inventor, Solidworks, AutoCAD, ProE).

I have narrowed it down to the Aspire s7 and the surface pro 2. The pro 2 looks awesome but i'm really not sure how I feel about the smaller screen...it bothers me. The stylus it has seems cool, but honestly I want to take notes on paper not on a tablet.

I am leaning toward the Aspire s7, but I want to get your guys' opinions. Feel free to suggest other devices as well. Thanks!

LummusMaximus

Honorable
The s7 by a long shot. The Surface, as you said, has that small screen, and you have to consider keyboards. The surface touch keyboard is uncomfortable and will have to be replaced often, and the clicky keyboard is far inferior to the s7's. Also, the surface trackpads are bloody tiny. And the s7 is more reasonably priced, and faster. All-in-all, i would definitely recommend the s7.

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

I thought i heard that the s7 has been having SSD and keyboard registry problems. Is this true? Do you have an s7?