[Assistance] Looking to Purchase a Gaming Rig (Budget $1600)

Mindsplosions

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
1. What is your budget?

$1600, but preferably low if possible. (I would prefer a laptop that's really worth it's money.)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

17.1"

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920 x 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Desktop Replacement, I hardly care for battery life.

5. How much battery life do you need?

None, it might as well be a tower with a keyboard taped to it.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Ultra.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Photo and video editing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Anything reasonable. 1 TB or more preferably, but I could live with less.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

I've had an MSI and Asus one in mind but I have long forgotten them. Sorry.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

A healthy number of years. Two minimum. I don't want a time bomb.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

Don't care.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

I tend to prefer Asus and MSI, simply because of the quality and experience I've had with them. No HP, Alienware, Dell, etc.

13. What country do you live in?

USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

The last laptop I purchased roughly 22 months ago, the G73JH is now lacking in performance to play higher end games. I know this is an odd thing to ask, but I'm hoping for a rig that will last longer than that.

Mindsplosions

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

Thanks, these are some very good recommendations. You cannot imagine how much help this has been. The budget has been extended to $1700 so I was wondering if there was some other recommendations. I think I'm going to rule out the the MSI model since it seems less cost efficient than the other two. I also wanted to know if I should generally purchase from xotic for this kind of hardware. My cousin recommended this model on Amazon: (ASUS G74SX-DH71 for 1639.99) (I would link but my tablet seems to have trouble copy pasting URLS to this site specifically.)

However, I don't think this model would be as worth it as the other two. I would really appreciate it if I could get your word on it. Right now, I am debating whether I should purchase the G75, the G74, r the NP9170. Also do you happen to have an exact date of which the G75 will be released? From a personal point of view, would you prefer the G75 or the NP9170. Also, when customizing, where should I be placing my money. Should I upgrade only the GPU or also the CPU? Having never customized a laptop before, what should I upgrade? (Monitor, Heatsink, RAM?)

If you could reply, I'd really appreciate it

Mindsplosions

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

Thanks for the insight! I was originally going to purchase the Sager because of the new 7970, but forums have been telling me it's not worth it. I think I might just go with the MSI model you just recommended (Looks fantastic for it's price).