Sep 26, 2014
Hi everyone,
Im writing you because I'm about to buy a new laptop and I have some questions about different upgrade possibilities.

I was looking at the HP Envy 15t and they offer the following CPU + GPU upgrades:
1) Intel Core i7- 4710HQ (quad core) + Intel HD Graphics 4600
2) Intel Core i7 - 4510u (dual core) + 2GB NVIDIA GeForce 840M
3) Intel Core i7 - 4510u (dual core) + 4GB NVIDIA GeForce 850M

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-envy---15t-touch-laptop-j2r73av-1

I'm confused because I know that the core i7 4710hq from option 1 is twice as fast as the 4510u, but the video card sucks. However, the second option offers a better video card and a slower processor.
I'm not willing to run video games with ultra high details, but at least medium or low. However, I know that most video games would run better with at least the nvidia 840m from option 2.

So my question is. Does it really worst it paying for the upgrade number 2 to get a better video card cosidering the slow speed of the 4510m processor?

I'm trying to take the right decision between better processor and better video card.

Also, does anyone now if I could upgrade the video card if I pick number 1? I don't really understand about the new laptop video card upgrades.

Thank you so much!
Claudio

The 4510s aren't really i7s if they're dual core.

I'd prefer Asus, MSI or Lenovo in that order. I try to steer away from HP and Dell because we get so many problems reported and its so hard to find info on them. eg what can you upgrade.

qubits

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
it depends on the screen res how well a 840m will do

if you want a 1080p gaming laptop that will keep you happy for years to come then a 880m or 970m is what you want

check out what msi and asus have to offer

Sep 26, 2014
Cool! I'll take that into consideration!
Do you know if there's something lighter than that? Is because I'll have to carry that in my backpack all day at school. :/ the weight is a very important factor to me.

qubits

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
will keep you fit to carry around a full back pack.. rocky would be proud lol

you should go with the asus rog i7baby linked if you cant spend more.. cant match the durability of asus and msi of something that will get moved around a lot.