ASUS (870M) vs MSI (970M) which one is better?

VAIOF115

Estimable
Dec 31, 2014
Hi,

I have just bought my new laptop: ASUS G750JS-DH71

Here's the spec

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz Quad Core Processor
w/ 3.5GHz Turbo, 8 Hyperthreads, 6MB Smart Cache
Memory: 12GB DDR3L SO-DIMM RAM
Graphic: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX870M w/ 3GB GDDR5 VRAM
Storage 1x 1TB 7,200RPM HDD

The main reason I got this laptop is because it was on $400 off sale during the end of year sale season. $1,399.99 (Original price: $1,799.99)

The store also had this other laptop I was considering: MSI GT70 2QD-2292US Dominator

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4710MQ 2.5GHz Quad Core Processor
w/ 3.5GHz Turbo, 8 Hyperthreads, 6MB Smart Cache
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Graphic: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX970M w/ 3GB GDDR5
Storage 1x 1TB 7,200RPM HDD.

This one was only on $100 off sale. $1,499.99 (Original Price: $1,599.99)

I ended up getting the ASUS (GTX 870M) one because it had more RAM and the $400 off sale seemed to be really good deal. Also, the salesperson at the store told me that the ASUS had better cooling system with dual rear-venting fans.

However, after coming home I realized that there seem to be huge difference between the graphic cards: 970M and 870M, and I am thinking if I should return ASUS and get MSI instead.

I am not a hardcore gamer, but I would like to use my laptop for the next five years.

In this case, which laptop would be better?

I want to know about the following things

a) Is $100 difference negligible between the two laptops? Is MSI really the better option with 970M despite it has worse cooling system and less RAM?

-ASUS is cheaper, it has more RAMS, better cooling system, but worse graphic card (870M)
-MSI is more expensive, less RAMS, worse cooling system, but better graphic card (970M)

b) Will I be able to use either laptop for the next 5 years regardless of the cooling system?
-Before getting the new laptop today, I have been using my SONY VAIO F115FM for almost five
years. It's getting slower, but it's still not broken. (i7 1.60GHz, 6GB RAM and GTX 330M)

c) I have 7 days to return my laptop and get full refund, but the sales ended tonight. If I decide to get the MSI one instead, do you think the store will still offer me $100 discount?

Thank you

Solution
A) The MSI is better based on specs alone. If you aren't a hard core gamer I would still go for the 970m because it could run new games for longer.
B) Yes you will be able to. It might not be able to run all of the games on max settings, but it will probably run it on low- medium. Just take care of it
C) They might. I would contact them before you actually return the other laptop.

flamefire999

Honorable
Nov 9, 2013
A) The MSI is better based on specs alone. If you aren't a hard core gamer I would still go for the 970m because it could run new games for longer.
B) Yes you will be able to. It might not be able to run all of the games on max settings, but it will probably run it on low- medium. Just take care of it
C) They might. I would contact them before you actually return the other laptop.

Solution