Asus EeePad: the First Successful Android Tablet?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]helldog3105[/nom]Darn it deleted my post apparently. I've had one of these tablets since last monday and I've enjoyed playing with it. Are there any suggestions for facetime style apps, and other apps that aren't games? Thanks for the heads up![/citation]
Try Tango for videocalling. Works just fine, better than Skype client for Android.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]I will buy one when when Android gets some decent apps.[/citation]
You need to define "decent apps". Try to do a search on Android Market when you need something. ALL app stores have that function.
Also, you can select different app stores, not just Android Market. SlideIT, Amazon's appstore are just another 2 options. When you can't find something on one market, move to the next. Something you can not do on the other OS, where you are locked on one market.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I got my first tablet, the Toshiba Thrive. Great device and certainly superior to anything iCrap produces in the same category. Changeable batteries, memory upgrade.... Happy with it and dont feel like I am being dumbed down by using the product. The complements aside, I am critical of the tablet as an only device. Honestly, a tablet is and will always be a complementary device, not one to replace a netbook or laptop, unless you are a technology retard. Which brings me to the Asus. A convertible device seems a good solution to the short comings of a device that is just a tablet. It would be a wise move by Asus if they made their tablets have replaceable battery and memory. Yes I know that Apple has set a very low bar here, but that is no reason to treat every body like a moron-- in my experience intelligent users like to upgrade their devices if given the chance.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Hmmm..
I have a PC, a laptop and an HTC Desire...hmmm...do I have to get a tablet pc or do I want a tablet pc?
That is the main question.
Tablet PC (does not matter if it has iOS or Android) is more like a toy to me, which I simply want, and not really something I need.

Division

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
I have one of these tablets and have to say it's awesome. I've had this and the iPad2 side by side and would take the ASUS Transformer any day. Does everything I want and does it well.

maniac62

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]No tablet can come near the iPad's success... Why? Because they arrived WAY too late to the party. People now got used to the iOS schema of getting things done (I'm willing to bet that most iPad owners have an iPhone around, very close to them).Now, the Asus transformer gave very useful features to the "tablet" concept with a cheap twist (cheap is not a trivial word IMO) and not leaving quality behind. I used it for a while (a friend has it), but I'm not a target for them at all, so all I can say is that tablets are a niche product that fit very specific needs. If they try to broaden those needs, disaster will occur: price will go up, performance will go down; or even worse, they'll step into PC territory (notebooks). Side by side, though, the Asus looks better than the iPad in functionality, but the iPad is way way easier to use. It's like Android was meant for engineers and iOS for... Well... You know... Masses.When Apple steps into the PC territory, they won't care though, because it's their own ecosystem (phone -> tablet -> notebook -> desktop). But Android... Android is Linux kernel + Java, so it's closest relative is Linux and we all know about Linux for the masses: is non-existent. Google is taking big steps to make that change, but there's the other big brother called Microsoft that won't budge on that market, lol.Cheers![/citation]
Don't you know that OSX is based on UNIX? So it's closest relatives are AIX, HP-UX and we all know about UNIX for the masses: is non-existent.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
OS-X is based off of NextStep (OS for Job's previous NEXT computer company) which is based off of FreeBSD which is based off of at&t UNIX.

AmigaOS is also a NIX based OS, from a competing computer from 1986~1993... yeah, we had multi-tasking consumer computers 10 years before Windows95, and it failed against the POS MS-DOS. Really, PC Users use to say "Who needs multi-tasking, graphics and sound?"

Check out the screen shots from NextSTEP... You see a bit of MAC, BeOS, even Amiga/UNIX in there... as well as its basis for OS-X... which moved the doc to the bottom and kept the Mac bar at the top, added much more color

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I had my first experience with an iPad the other day. I was at a clients house and needed internet connection~~ so she put an iPad in front of me.It was a mess for my purposes. You can't honestly enjoy typing on a touch screen. It's no where near as useful as a keyboard.[/citation]

Tablet computers are not notebook or desktop replacements. I use it to read far more articles, including on this site. Maybe type a short or limited response. But like now, I'm on my desktop with a real keyboard. But many of todays younger computer users are used to typing on touch screen (UGH).

An iPad has helped make me money as a tool. It has flexibility that a notebook does not... but that depends on your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.