Asus EeePad Transformer to Cost $399

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

baracuda73

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Am I the only one that think these tablets should come with an ir transmitter so that they could double as a universal remote?

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]baracuda73[/nom]Am I the only one that think these tablets should come with an ir transmitter so that they could double as a universal remote?[/citation]

+1 - That would make the logitech harmony look so 1985 =)

This is going to make a fantastic recipe book for my mom and myself for the kitchen. Not to expensive if it gets damaged and perfect size to mount.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
i think its humorous reading forums with all the ignorance floating around... this tablet wont even run this or that but at the same time they say the devices are still overpriced?? pull your head out..if they made the power to do these other things you would bitch about battery life or that the thing weighs 4oz hour and my weak arms get tired holding it. If you cant afford it, you have a very strong opinion, dont buy it! People need to realize that this is still first generation quality stuff, prices are bound to be more expensive and as they evolve, the prices should come down while performance and features go up. bottom line though is this, if people dont buy the first generation type products, the companies arent going to continue to build failing products. More players are getting to the game and i think this is still only the beginning and as soon as these start to flood the market, the companies will try to differentiate themselves from the competition which means we will get that performance at the price we want

G

so in the US it costs $399, in europe $576 and in the UK $618. Since it's designed in Taiwan and probably made in China why the difference? I can't see differences in import duty accounting for $219

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Also, I don't see why anyone would pay $100 for 16 extra gb of flash. You could buy a few sd cards for half that."

Curious- is there a significant performance difference between using the internal storage vs SD cards? Do SD cards transfer data fast enough to watch HD movies without huge buffers? Is there a battery life impact between using internal memory and SD cards? Right now on bestbuy.com, I can buy a 16GB SD card for as little as $20 or as much as $100. If the internal memory is close to what you get from a high-end SD card, then paying $100 for the internal memory seems reasonable [and perhaps spending $200 for the extra 48GB is even a better deal :)]

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]so in the US it costs $399, in europe $576 and in the UK $618. Since it's designed in Taiwan and probably made in China why the difference? I can't see differences in import duty accounting for $219[/citation]

It's true for pretty much all technology. I literally have no idea why we get ripped off so badly here in the UK.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]wasn't the EP121 already launched? It has a i5 not an atom though?[/citation]

Well definitely not the EP121, that thing costs way too much.

[citation][nom]yimnvs[/nom]A netbook with an atom cpu running photoshop and desktop programs? you gotta be kidding me. A netbook is for you to do light stuff like surf the net..hence the name. Anyways, most people who buy tablets now are just buying it as a toy, not for productivity...[/citation]

By productivity I mean light productivity, like documents, spreadsheets, research, the kind of things that are much more easily done with a real keyboard. None of these devices have the processing power to do more CPU intensive tasks., but the keyboard dock makes tasks easier for students and businessmen who need a light unit to drag around with them. Netbooks have made a lot of progress compared to what they used to be able to do though, low end gaming and HD video are possible on newer models.

[citation][nom]rosen380[/nom]"Also, I don't see why anyone would pay $100 for 16 extra gb of flash. You could buy a few sd cards for half that." Curious- is there a significant performance difference between using the internal storage vs SD cards? Do SD cards transfer data fast enough to watch HD movies without huge buffers? Is there a battery life impact between using internal memory and SD cards? Right now on bestbuy.com, I can buy a 16GB SD card for as little as $20 or as much as $100. If the internal memory is close to what you get from a high-end SD card, then paying $100 for the internal memory seems reasonable [and perhaps spending $200 for the extra 48GB is even a better deal ][/citation]

It depends on what kind of memory is being used on the inside and how it's set up. A Class 10 SD card is much faster than a Class 2 SD card, but even a bad SSD drive outpaces the best SD cards. Internal memory should have a better path to the CPU and be faster than an SD slot. You can always put the more important things on the main drive though and leave things like music on the SD.

G

Anyone know of this device will be supported by Netflix? Without Netflix capability, it's a no go for me until it does. Also, will Hulu unblock Android devices? Last time I tried to watch Hulu on my friend's Nook Color running Honeycomb, Hulu displayed a message saying the mobile device is not supported. Until then, I can't use it as an entertainment center in my car, yes my car. :) At least I've been my friends to buying those in-car DVD player and portable Nav and just get either an iPad with 3G or an Android tablet with 3G. :) Is this an impossible dream?

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]baracuda73[/nom]Am I the only one that think these tablets should come with an ir transmitter so that they could double as a universal remote?[/citation]
It's got usb ports, it'd be pretty easy to make your own. Get a cheap USB FPGA kit (the teensy is pretty good an only about 20-30$), an IR emitter and browse a few forums and you'll get there in no time. I assume making something using the Bluetooth would be possible too, but I've never done anything with it so I can't say that with certainty.

G

pwrnstpd:The price sucks you can't even use Photoshop CS5 on this thing

I read that as sarcasm, maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to extreme to be serious.

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]wow this seems to be packed with features, how so cheap?[/citation]
It's cause it's running on an ARMS and not a x86 processor

djsting

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
What idiot would try and run CS5 on a netbook????

[citation][nom]spsfinest[/nom]The price sucks you can't even use Photoshop CS5 on this thing[/citation]

.... .... .... .... o_O

G

Why so cheap, someone asked...
US workers = $10-25/hr (except parts of southwestern Virginia)
China workers = $.50-$1.50/hr
This thing made in China... you do the math.

Status
Not open for further replies.