Solved! Asus G74SX Shuting down issues

Aug 5, 2019
Hi guys I registered recently on this forum to gain help with a issue in my Asus G74sx ROG notebook.

The notebook is more than three years old and it belonged to my brother in Germany and for him the notebook worked flawlessly over these years but recently he stopped using it and when I decided to go to my home country for some business he decided to give me the notebook so I won't get bored on my journey and we spent couple of days buying games over steam and Ubisoft and downloading them because I knew that I won't have internet access at home at my travel destination.

After packing the notebook with games ( only 20 gb free space left on C and 10 gb on D ) and traveling I started gaming and it worked fine in the beginning (for a month or more) till once while I was ingame the notebook just crashed. Since it's very hot where im staying I thought that the notebook is dirty and because the dust it gets overheated so I opened it and cleaned it with cleaning spray and changed the cooling paste on the processors but after starting it again the problem still existed but not for long since I found out the source of the problem: The Notebook battery settings been running on power saving and when I changed to full performance the games started to run smoothly again whit no crashes. Then I started playing the Witcher 3 and clocked it with all add ons and started playing Mass effect Andromeda and the nb crashed again in mid game. Since then I can't game anymore because it crashes when I start any game. After the nb crashes I can't turn it on for a while even the charging light won't turn on ( need to play on AC because the battery is old and not working for more than couple minutes )

Sometimes I manage to turn it on an get to windows but after starting a game it crashes after couple minutes.

My biggest fear is that the graphic card is not working anymore. I hope you can tell me otherwise and help me making the games run again pls ask me for any information you need so we can hopefully find out the source of the problem.

Thanks for all your efforts !

Solution
Laptop batteries are there for more than just using it without being plugged in. The power path is designed in a way that he battery pulls the load while the charger refills it. When the battery is weak, all of the load is placed on the charger and it cannot handle it. The charging cord has built in protection circuits that disable it when it detects what it thinks is a surge. Replace your battery and see if you can start gaming again.
Aug 4, 2019
Hi,
Check if there is an update to the graphics driver. If no internet, use mobile internet Hotspot. Check if your windows version is not very old, if it's windows 10. Update your windows. When you run the game if fan running fast, means games graphics are too high to handle and that can cause crash too. Run the game on low graphics. If you know how to read event viewer, check there. Monitor performance through task management. If laptop is low on memory, try increasing virtual memory.

Let us know what fixed the issue for you.

Sent from my ASUS_X01AD using Tapatalk

Aug 5, 2019
Thanks for the fast reply I will try the graphic card update. My graphics card is GTX 560m have to look for a look for a link to download the driver to my smartphone first then sending it to my NB.

Aswell I remember using my NB over a 100 amps battery using a 300w power inverter for some time. While using it that way the charger would make a little humming sound. You think the inverter damaged my charger and I should try buying a new one ?

We installed Windows 10 less than five months ago and updated it so I don't think the problem is related to old windows.

When I played Witcher 3 I had to lower the graphics with the editor inside the game folder so I could run it aswell I played on low resolution in windowed mode. Since it run smoothly I hope it didn't do any harm to my NB. Mass effect Andromeda I hat to play on low graphics aswell till it crashed mid game but now even when I get the NB started and play a old game like Blur it still crashes....

Unfortunately I have no experience with event viewer but for now I will try updating the graphic drivers and maybe buying a new charger.

I will update if any of this works

Reactions: Jack-TheTechnician
Aug 3, 2019
Laptop batteries are there for more than just using it without being plugged in. The power path is designed in a way that he battery pulls the load while the charger refills it. When the battery is weak, all of the load is placed on the charger and it cannot handle it. The charging cord has built in protection circuits that disable it when it detects what it thinks is a surge. Replace your battery and see if you can start gaming again.

Solution