Solved! Asus K52JT Black Screen Issue!

Oct 10, 2021
Hi guys,

I think my ASUS K52JT just bricked on me. This what happened, after creating a Win 10 bootable USB drive (prepared using Rufus) to reinstall Win 10, when I rebooted the laptop from the USB, the laptop powers up, but the screen stays black. I disconnected the AC charger, removed the Laptop battery and the CMOS battery for like an hour and performed a hard reset, but the laptop still powers up with black screen with these following symptoms;

- Screen is completely black, no BIOS, no BEEPS, no anything.
  • Power and battery lights turn on (they work ok, if I remove the battery, the light shows that, etc.)
  • Hard disk, Caps-lock, and num-lock lights turns on and then turns off, and they stay off.
  • Keyboard doesn't do anything at all, like Esc Button, Caps Lock, Num Lock and the F1 don't seem to work.
  • The DVD light check ok.
  • Fan works properly.
  • USB not recognized.
  • Tried using an external monitor, no luck.
I charged the battery all the way, and tried several combinations of turning the laptop on only on AC adapter, only on battery, on both; I also tried removing battery and adapter, holding ON button for several minutes, then trying to power up again with only adapter, only battery, or both, all the time the result is exactly the same symptoms.

Thanks
Wassim

Last edited:
Solution
I think you are right, I have been battling with this issue for like two months, but I just did not want to give up and admit to this fact. Nonetheless, I have seen videos where they heated the GPU with a hot air gun at about 200 celsius for about 1 or so, but I think that would only work temporarily.

Well, anyway thanks for your input and contribution.
Thanks
If you have a dGPU, take it out and try it with the internal graphics. Otherwise, yeah, the motherboard went.

No problem.

mrmike16

Honorable
"Hard disk, Caps-lock, and num-lock lights turns on and then turns off, and they stay off."

From my experience, this means either the RAM or the motherboard. I don't see that you have tried reseating the RAM or replacing it. And if it isn't the RAM, the motherboard was probably fried. Also try removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes.

Oct 10, 2021
I did reseat the RAM, plus also I removed the CMOS battery for about half an hour and pressed the power button for like two minutes quiet few times. Just now, when I removed the RAM completely and turned the laptop on, there was no BEEPS same symptoms except for the Caps-lock, and num-lock lights turned on and stayed on.

mrmike16

Honorable
I did reseat the RAM, plus also I removed the CMOS battery for about half an hour and pressed the power button for like two minutes quiet few times. Just now, when I removed the RAM completely and turned the laptop on, there was no BEEPS same symptoms except for the Caps-lock, and num-lock lights turned on and stayed on.
Then I think the motherboard went.

Oct 10, 2021
I think you are right, I have been battling with this issue for like two months, but I just did not want to give up and admit to this fact. Nonetheless, I have seen videos where they heated the GPU with a hot air gun at about 200 celsius for about 1 or so, but I think that would only work temporarily.

Thanks

mrmike16

Honorable

Thanks
If you have a dGPU, take it out and try it with the internal graphics. Otherwise, yeah, the motherboard went.

No problem.

Solution