Asus k55a problems

kaydeejay

Estimable
Dec 9, 2015
Hi guys, I have an Asus k55a laptop which normally works beautifully. In the past I've had some issues where it spontaneously powers off, but it always came back on.

Since upgrading to Windows 10 from 7, I've had an issue where the laptop will simply not turn on. I push the power button, which lights up, and I hear the CD drive whir like it always does on powering on, but the screen stays black and unlit and I can't even get to the bios. I tried calling Asus tech support, they told me to try the power drain technique (take out the battery, hold down the power button, etc), and after that didn't work they figured it must be a hard drive issue and want me to send it in. My dad, the family computer guru, disagrees and thinks I may need a new motherboard instead.

The thing is, I've had this happen twice, and both times if I just step away for 12-24 hours, the computer can turn on. I'm thinking it's an unstable connection somewhere.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Hi,

Here are more test you can do with your laptop that may help shed some light.
- Start by connecting and external monitor to it while it's on with the light indicators on as well, if you'll get a display from the external monitor that means it's a problem with the LCD not the motherboard but if there's no display it's the motherboard.
- Next is to try and reseat the RAM, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure that they are seated properly.
- If all these will not work I would send it to Asus for a repair and if it's the motherboard it's covered by the warranty and they will replace that part.
Hi,

Here are more test you can do with your laptop that may help shed some light.
- Start by connecting and external monitor to it while it's on with the light indicators on as well, if you'll get a display from the external monitor that means it's a problem with the LCD not the motherboard but if there's no display it's the motherboard.
- Next is to try and reseat the RAM, remove them all for couple of seconds then put them back in making sure that they are seated properly.
- If all these will not work I would send it to Asus for a repair and if it's the motherboard it's covered by the warranty and they will replace that part.

Solution