Asus laptop battery "Plugged in, charging," but not charging woes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

junpoftheking

Estimable
Mar 20, 2015
I have somewhat of a complex problem with my Asus laptop (roughly 1 year old). It started when I required a screen replacement for my laptop, which I ordered and installed, and only after failed attempts to boot realized that I was sent the incorrect screen, even though it fit my connector, and long story short I have the correct one now. Ever since this, my battery has displayed as "Plugged in, charging," when in fact it remains at the same per cent. When I unplug the AC cord and try to put it back in, the "Plugged in, charging" goes away and it fails to recognize the external power source at all, running exclusively off battery power. After many attempts to unplug and re-plug, often upward of 20, it will eventually return to the "Plugged in, charging" state, and sustain the battery at 27%. However, I don't think it's a problem with the cord or AC jack, because if I shut down, remove the battery, and boot simply from the external power, it works every time with no detection issue. I've tried reinstalling the Microsoft ACPI software, leaving the battery unplugged and holding the power button down for 30 seconds, all the basic/obvious stuff. I'd just like a second opinion before investing in a new battery.

Solution

If I recall correctly, ASUS does cover batteries but you will have more knowledge on that than me. Try calling ASUS and see what they can do for you. It's most likely that they will replace it if you are under warranty still.

borult

Estimable
Sep 10, 2015
Hello aliasemail, did you find any solution to your problem? I have basically the same issues, and no solution for now:
1) the original battery stopped working a few days ago, even if before it lasted like 1.5h with no problem: the charge rate suddenly felt to 0 mw
2) I bought a recovery one, still the problem persists: it's stuck at 60 % and the charge rate is still 0 mw
3) trying to update the BIOS or calibrating the battery doesn't help

If you have any miraculous solution, I would be more than gratefull for sharing...
Thanks !
m.

Damiend1401

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015

im having this trouble with my new battery i got today. i have an asus x44h and its also saying plugged in , charging but not going past 65%. im trying this and will give feedback, thanks

SoS98

Honorable
Jan 3, 2014
I am having the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite F50D-C-13G tried all the things on this thread and others and don't seem to be having any luck battery is stuck showing up as 59% and charging but when there's not AC power its just turns off, starting to think maybe its just a dead battery but the user said it started happening after he upgraded to windows 10, I tried the reinstalling of the driver etc though

awwdie

Estimable
Nov 30, 2015
I have an Asus X200m and I've been looking everywhere for answers and doing almost everything to find nothing but I finally came to a solution. I hope this helps anyone. Extra specs include running windows 10 64bit and replaced dc jack.
1. First turn on the computer and make sure that the AC plug isn't plugged in while doing so
2. Search device manager and it should pull it from the control panel, if not you can find it through there.
3. Now that device manager is up look for battery and click on the arrow on the left side of it for the drop down list.
4. On my computer there a two things that show up (Microsoft AC Adapter) & (Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery)
5. Now we're not focused on the first thing but the second one. So what we do is uninstall (Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery) and don't worry windows will detect it and reinstall it for you as seen later.
6. After that's uninstalled, simply restart the computer and windows will reinstall it for you. Plug in the AC plug and see if it works!

bluecellie

Estimable
Jan 10, 2016

Perfect, worked great. This solved my problem.

informationeagle

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Thanks!

rljames

Commendable
Mar 16, 2016

Terry,

You seem very knowledgeable - Were you able to solve ASUS battery issues?

ASUS Q400A with almost exact same issues. New battery initially charged to 100% as expected, then after first battery session and return to AC became "stuck" as described in thread subject. So, I *think* my situation tells me that battery is good and laptop hardware working. Tried everything you listed without success.

Stumped and could use some help!

Thanks,
Bob

pierced8

Commendable
Mar 22, 2016
your solution worked perfect
i just updated win10 from 8.1 and i had a blinking battery light.
SO I BOUGHT A NEW BATTERY and same thing
i tried to drain the batt. that worked for 1 day and blink blink blink
so i deleted ACPI from battery in DEVICE MANAGER
TOOK OUT MY BATTERY
shut down for 1 min
reinstall battery (don`t boot yet)
let full charge
turn back on and everything PERFECT!!!!!!!
thanks guy`s and gal`s for your soution
my computer
X55U
ASUS R503U-MH21
2tb 8gig ram 1.7 fm

iliasgiannako

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

I have exactly the same issue with my Asus Laptop. The battery stop charging after 14 months. I suppose that the battery is dead.

Nov 12, 2018
hi,

I've the same problem on my asus X552L.
I've tried the solution from "awwdie"
"1. First turn on the computer and make sure that the AC plug isn't plugged in while doing so
2. Search device manager and it should pull it from the control panel, if not you can find it through there.
3. Now that device manager is up look for battery and click on the arrow on the left side of it for the drop down list.
4. On my computer there a two things that show up (Microsoft AC Adapter) & (Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery)
5. Now we're not focused on the first thing but the second one. So what we do is uninstall (Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery) and don't worry windows will detect it and reinstall it for you as seen later.
6. After that's uninstalled, simply restart the computer and windows will reinstall it for you. Plug in the AC plug and see if it works!"

But no success at all.

Can someone advice?
Can it be hardware bad-functionality? Like resistors or charging controller?

Precious help apreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS