Asus laptop graphics not performing as expected.

Pepperpotty

Estimable
Jan 20, 2016
Hi everyone.

I have an Asus N56VM laptop which until recently I have been able to use for gaming.

Just before Christmas the laptop stopped working completely. Initially I was able to boot it a few times using a hard reset but after a while it just stopped booting. The power light would come on and you would hear it try to boot but then it would just power down.

As I had the laptop insured I sent it off to be fixed and it was returned to me last week.

Everything seemed ok until today when I decided to try and play a game on it.

I loaded up Tomb Raider (2013) and straight away I noticed that the graphics are lagging a lot.

Right before the laptop broke I had installed a new SSD and upgraded to Windows 10 so I had run a benchmark test and was able to get on average 60fps when graphics were set to Ultra.

Today, with the same configuration I am getting 7fps.

I have checked the graphics driver and it's up to date. I have also checked in the settings to ensure that the game is using the Nvidia graphics card and not the integrated one.

I don't know what the fault was in the laptop. The only thing I can see that they have replaced is the hard drive. Which funnily enough is the only part that I can absolutely guarantee was not the cause of the fault as I had taken out the original hard drive and replaced it with an SSD almost as soon as I bought the laptop a few years ago.

When I received the laptop back I was able to put my SSD back in and the laptop accepted it without any problems which it wouldn't have done if they had replaced the mobo.So I'm thinking that maybe the fault was a power issue?

Anyway, any suggestions as to what I can do to resolve this without me having to send it back for repair again would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Emma

Asus N56VM
6gb Ram
Core i5 3210M
Samsung 850 Evo 1tb
Nvidia 630M 2gb
Windows 10 64bit

Hi,

Please do try to uninstall and reinstall the latest graphics card driver that may help in solving the issue which worked with others who had the same issue.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall your graphics card driver.
- Do the same in Programs and Features, uninstall any software related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Next is to download and install the latest graphics card driver from it's support site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once the latest driver has been installed reboot your laptop for all the changes to take effect.
- After the reboot do set NVIDIA as the default graphics card.
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2615/kw/setting%20nvidia%20as%20the%20graphics%20card