Asus laptop possessed

OfXaos

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014
Okay so on March 22nd 2016 I purchased my daughter the Asus F555LA-AB31 15.6-Inch Laptop from Amazon.

2.1 GHz Core i3-5010U Processor
4 GB RAM
500 GB Hard Drive
Windows 10

It performed perfectly for her web browsing and Minecraft playing.

Almost a month ago now she started to get the blue screen of death from Windows 10. I read as much as I could about it, switching fast boot off in the BIOS, doing a system restore.

Then I decided I'd completely format the hard drive and put windows 10 on a CD as an iso and go from there... it seemed to work for 2 days then all of a sudden when she shut the computer off and tried to turn it on it took her straight to the BIOS... normally I would of just replaced the hard drive but when i looked in her boot menu it didn't show her current hard drive nor did it show her DVD drive.

Now here's where the crazy part comes in. I read you can "jump start " windows 10 if on a CD as an iso by putting it in the DVD drive and when you reboot hit F12 which actually worked. Windows booted up her login name came up.. but certainly theres gotta be more to it... without making that CD I wouldn't have been able to format her hard drive. I've heard stories of motherboards going out on this model and such... since I'm over 2 years owning it I don't know who to turn too.

I'm not a super computer wiz but I put together her AMD desktop with the msi gamer board... I can't remember which amd chip I put in but it required an fm2 board so I know it's got miles on it. I've never had a problem from her desktop. The laptop has 4 gigs of integrated ram (there is an additional slot for 1 more ram card on the laptop) but if the bios isnt picking up the DVD drive or the hard drive.. but im able to sometimes get windows to start using the F12 with the windows 10 install CD I made im baffled at how thats possible?

Any ideas or suggestions welcomed.. the next step was simply to admit defeat and take it to a place that fixes computers but around here in Jax, fl most shops have a bad reputation of selling you parts you don't need... I'm great with hardware but this is entering the realm of software tweaking in the bios and I don't want to screw around with that as im no software expert.

Mod Edited for readability

Solution
Just for reference: ASUS F555LA-AB31 User's Manual - Recovering your System - Pg 77

So you did a system restore. Did you roll back to an earlier restore point or back to the system default?
You the did a Windows 10 install from DVD. Did you get the ISO from her computer, ASUS, or Microsoft?

Just an FYI, my old Dell laptop started giving me BSODs when the motherboard started to fail. One of my RAM slots fried. As soon as I removed the RAM module from that slot (halving my RAM), I stopped getting BSODs. That laptop lasted a little over another year before the second RAM slot died.

-Wolf sends
Just for reference: ASUS F555LA-AB31 User's Manual - Recovering your System - Pg 77

So you did a system restore. Did you roll back to an earlier restore point or back to the system default?
You the did a Windows 10 install from DVD. Did you get the ISO from her computer, ASUS, or Microsoft?

Just an FYI, my old Dell laptop started giving me BSODs when the motherboard started to fail. One of my RAM slots fried. As soon as I removed the RAM module from that slot (halving my RAM), I stopped getting BSODs. That laptop lasted a little over another year before the second RAM slot died.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Lutfij

Splendid
What version of the laptop's BIOS are you on at the moment? See if there are any updates for BIOS pending. On another note, you should recreate the bootable installer(USB/Disc) using Windows Media Creation Tool. Doing so will ensure that you have the latest version of the OS on your installer and rule out a corrupt update/installation.

As long as the primary boot device is Windows Boot Manager, you're fine though I think it's got to do with your BIOS and that perhaps an update is pending.