ASUS laptop repair advice

madpedro

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
I have an ASUS UX32VD ultrabook that has a few issues that I've lived with for a few years now. These consist of the following:

1. The 32GB onboard SSD chip has failed. Not a huge deal, because I installed my own SSD, but it does cause the boot to be a bit slow while it searches for the ssd chip.

2. Discrete video card failed. I have to keep it disabled through device manager or the system will crash whenever it tries to use the NVidia card for games. Games play using the onboard video, but not as well as they used to.

3. The keyboard has issues with hard presses required for the 7ujm and 8ik, key rows...not impossible to get the keys to work, but it is a pain in the butt...especially when trying to type passwords.

My question is what do you think it would cost to resolve these issues? I like the laptop in general, but these are all annoying to deal with every time I'm using it. Thanks!

Solution
There are videos online on how to remove the 32GB ExpressCache SSD using a heat gun or soldering iron. Getting this part may be a little expensive, as the UX32VD is relatively old and may no longer be available. Having it removed of course will be very cheap.

The discrete video card replacement may be the most expensive, as these are typically soldered onto the motherboard in non-user-friendly ways, and replacing them, or even just finding the parts for them, will be very difficult.

Keyboard should be the cheapest to replace.

Overall, the discrete GPU replacement will be the deciding cost factor here. The Geforce GT 620M is hard to find as it's not normally sold by itself, so expect high costs from your service center, possibly over...

metalicgeek

Estimable
There are videos online on how to remove the 32GB ExpressCache SSD using a heat gun or soldering iron. Getting this part may be a little expensive, as the UX32VD is relatively old and may no longer be available. Having it removed of course will be very cheap.

The discrete video card replacement may be the most expensive, as these are typically soldered onto the motherboard in non-user-friendly ways, and replacing them, or even just finding the parts for them, will be very difficult.

Keyboard should be the cheapest to replace.

Overall, the discrete GPU replacement will be the deciding cost factor here. The Geforce GT 620M is hard to find as it's not normally sold by itself, so expect high costs from your service center, possibly over a hundred dollars.

Solution