Asus Laptop Screen Gone Black After Graphics Card Update. Works on HDMI Display.

Bastichh

Commendable
Oct 30, 2016
Hi. I just updated my graphics card driver after doing a factory reset on my laptop. I have installed the correct drivers from the AMD Website. I have an HD Mobility Radeon 5730. Now when I boot the screen shows the asus bootup symbol and the windows start up, but then goes black when its time to log in. If i plug in an HDMI cable I am able to display the image to my TV with no problem. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Solution
Try uninstalling the drivers then reboot into Windows. If the laptop's screen works again, then it's possible that something could have gone wrong during the installation process. Just to be sure go back to AMD's website and download the driver again. Also, download a slightly older driver as well just in case...

Install the current driver again. If you get the problem again, the uninstall the drivers and try the older driver you downloaded. If you get the same problem, then it could be one of two things:

#1 - Windows did not install properly and it is somehow causes the graphic drivers to have issues.

#2 - The Radeon HD 5730 is starting to / has failed.
Try uninstalling the drivers then reboot into Windows. If the laptop's screen works again, then it's possible that something could have gone wrong during the installation process. Just to be sure go back to AMD's website and download the driver again. Also, download a slightly older driver as well just in case...

Install the current driver again. If you get the problem again, the uninstall the drivers and try the older driver you downloaded. If you get the same problem, then it could be one of two things:

#1 - Windows did not install properly and it is somehow causes the graphic drivers to have issues.

#2 - The Radeon HD 5730 is starting to / has failed.

Solution