Solved! Asus Laptop suddenly not running well on battery.

Nightfox82

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015
So it's a basically new Asus gaming laptop with an inbuilt battery. Last night I was drawing on my graphics pad and all working well. When I turned it back on this morning it got to desktop but the windows bar was stuttering, I couldn't see the mouse cursor and couldn't really do anything. It seemed to be lagging big time. I tried to open task manager and this took nearly 2 minutes. When it finally opened it was unresponsive. The battery still was at 50%. I restarted into safe mode and laptop worked fine on battery, (so likely a software issue). Done a virus scan in safe mode and nothing. Then though to restart it plugged in. Laptop ran as normal when plugged in. However as soon as I unplugged the power cord and it wen to battery it started to lag again and be unresponsive. After that plugging the cord back in did not fix the issue and a restart while plugged in was required. Any Ideas? Has anyone encountered this before? Also changing battery profiles did nothing.

Solution
There are a few things you should check.

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click "Power Options". Next click "Change plan settings" next to whatever plan you are using. On the next screen click "Change advanced power settings". In this new window go through and check all the settings to make sure they are actually set to do what you want them to. Especially the settings for running on the battery.

2. Check for any software that is auto starting with the computer. This could easily cause you to have problems and drain your battery faster. If there is nothing in the "Startup" folder then you need to go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). BE CAREFUL in there. You can turn off the wrong thing and cause...

1. Go into "Control Panel" and click "Power Options". Next click "Change plan settings" next to whatever plan you are using. On the next screen click "Change advanced power settings". In this new window go through and check all the settings to make sure they are actually set to do what you want them to. Especially the settings for running on the battery.

2. Check for any software that is auto starting with the computer. This could easily cause you to have problems and drain your battery faster. If there is nothing in the "Startup" folder then you need to go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). BE CAREFUL in there. You can turn off the wrong thing and cause yourself no end of problems. Go to the "Startup" tab in there and see what is set to auto turn on when the computer starts. If there are programs you don't want starting, then uncheck their boxes. If you aren't sure what they do or what they are, check online for info on the program before changing anything. Once you are done click "Apply" and then "OK" and reboot (power off and back on) the computer.

3. Should that not do it, then check the computers temperatures to make sure nothing is running hot, especially your GPU. If it is overheating, that can cause slowness.

Solution

Nightfox82

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015

2. Check for any software that is auto starting with the computer. This could easily cause you to have problems and drain your battery faster. If there is nothing in the "Startup" folder then you need to go to "Start" and in the search box type "msconfig" (without the quotes). BE CAREFUL in there. You can turn off the wrong thing and cause yourself no end of problems. Go to the "Startup" tab in there and see what is set to auto turn on when the computer starts. If there are programs you don't want starting, then uncheck their boxes. If you aren't sure what they do or what they are, check online for info on the program before changing anything. Once you are done click "Apply" and then "OK" and reboot (power off and back on) the computer.

3. Should that not do it, then check the computers temperatures to make sure nothing is running hot, especially your GPU. If it is overheating, that can cause slowness.

I had tried most of that but good suggestions thanks :) So I spent about 2 hours last night in msconfig services starting the laptop selectively. I narrowed it down to a single service that is causing the problem "Windows Management Instrumentation" This seems connected to WINMGMT. I tried to rebuild the Winmgmt repository but still no dice. (also when disabling winmgmt it mentioned IPHelper as a service using it, just in case that's relevant) The windows management instrumentation doesn't seem to be conflicting with other services as running it alone still causes the extreme lag and issues I have. WMI disabled in msconfig services issue is gone :) problem solved sort of... but I still don't know why the sudden issue and I might need WMI? Perhaps caused but a security/ network type update from windows?

ronpar

Estimable
Aug 17, 2016
Try This:

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.

rgd1101

Don't
Try This:

Step 1: Click the Windows “Start” button and right-click “Computer.”

Step 2: Click “Manage,” then “Device Manager.”

Step 3: Click the “Batteries” section. A list of devices will appear.

Step 4: Right-click the “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery” device and click “Uninstall.”

Step 5: Click the “Action” menu item and “Scan for Hardware Changes” to reinstall the driver.
cite the source, don't plagiarize
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Battery-charging/td-p/6018281

Nightfox82

Estimable
Mar 16, 2015