ASUS laptop will not discover any wirelsss networks!

shady_lynx

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
I have tried searching and sifting through multiple threads for a solution to this but none of them have worked completely yet. This laptop is 2 years old and the problem first occured at the start of this year. I just turned it on one day and the wifi symbol had turned into the box with the red X, I click on it and no wifi networks showed up, my only options there are to go into Network & Internet Settings or turn on/off Airplane Mode, which is off. I can not find a 'wifi switch' and this laptop does not have a function key with a wifi symbol on it.

I tried restarting then searching for updates to my network adapter drivers in the Device Manager, did not work; none of my wifi networks even show up in the listed network adapters so I don't have anything to uninstall/reinstall.

When I go to the Network & Internet Settings> Change Adapter Settings it doesn't display any of the wifi networks my laptop has connected to, it only shows the ethernet cable one. Which works when I do connect a ethernet cable from my wifi modem, so that is the alternative if I don't get this fixed. Also I do not have the ethernet cable plugged in while I am trying to fix this and connect to wifi networks.

I got annoyed and ended up shutting it down and coming back to it a few days later and it was back to normal, discovering wifi networks again. Then a few months later the problem happened again out of the blue, but it did not go away. I read that the wifi card might have come loose so I had a look underneath and it seemed in place and the wires were in plugged in right, I pressed them in a bit anyway and made sure that its was in place. Then I turned the laptop back on and it could find the wifi networks again.

I though that would be the end of it, but no, today it has come up with the box and red X symbol and says no connections are available. I have tried looking for new fixes again/trying the ones above but is still the same and does not work. This laptop is running on Windows 10 and will not find any wireless networks, not even air printers or or other wifi networks of my friends houses, so it is not my wifi router/modem it is the laptop.

Maybe it will come back soon but any help with a long term fix would really be appreciated. Thank you for your time in reading the long post, I needed to put all the information in so I wouldn't get fixes I have already tried and do not work.

Thank you again!

shady_lynx

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

I guess I can give it a go, would I have to get one online or can you buy them at a store?

ASUS Notebook G551VW [is that all you need?]

shady_lynx

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

On my laptop Fn+F2 only turns airplane mode on/off? And it was off in the first place. :)

shady_lynx

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

The first link only shows me Acer parts when I type in that code, if that is what I am looking for, then they are $48 which will be more expensive if in USD because I am Aussie. Which is also a problem for the second link as they do not ship them to Australia... Is it possible to order them from a local tech store? I do want the better one because I think if I get the same one I will possibly get the same problem.

shady_lynx

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017

Ah thank you! I will see if it fixes the problem once I get it, thank you again for your help. :D