Question ASUS Laptop Won’t Turn On

Dec 4, 2019
I have an ASUS ROG G752VS. About two weeks ago, I noticed that the battery wouldn’t charge— it would recognize that it was plugged in, but the percentage would never go up. It still worked just fine while plugged in, so I just left it plugged in.

Then, three nights ago, it shut off while plugged in and wouldn’t turn on again. I tried a hard battery reset (unplug AC, hold power 60 sec, plug back in, hit power again), but it didn’t work. I took it into a repair shop and found out my adapter was under voltage— ordered a new one, and it arrived today. Same specs, same company. Plugged it in, tried turning it on. Nothing. Tried two more hard battery resets. Still nothing.

The computer is a couple years old, so I’m thinking it might be that the battery is just dead, but everyone else who has my same issue in threads like this said the hard battery reset worked for them... Am I doing something wrong? Should I buy a new battery?

What works for one device doesn't mean it will work for another. It depends on the actual problem.

If that laptop is in deed a few years old, then it would not be surprising that the battery would need replacing. And, if it is like some laptops, it won't work at all without a functioning battery.

That said, you may well replace the battery and then find that there is more to the problem. Without testing things out, there is no way to say for sure. I am also surprised that the shop didn't test the laptop to make sure it was working before you got it back. That seems rather odd.

Dec 4, 2019
Thank you! I’ll go ahead and get a new battery, then. (Also, the shop I went to is just a local repair place, so they didn’t have the right AC adapter on-hand to test.)

Dec 4, 2019
I've been searching all day, and I can find neither a reputable replacement for this battery, nor an adequate guide on how to open this thing up and replace it... I'm starting to feel totally hopeless here. If I'd known this would happen, I would have backed up some of my files to my Google Drive.

What I find strange is that it won't run on AC power at all, even though it used to.

Any advice?

Dec 4, 2019
Oh, I didn’t know that! That’s comforting to hear. I’m taking it back into the repair shop today. I’ll keep the thread posted on what happens in case anyone else runs into the same problem as me.

Dec 4, 2019
Update: took it into the repair shop, and it looks like this AC adapter isn’t working right either! I thought it was fine since it was from the same company and the labels were the same, but I guess not. Going to send this one back and try to find one from Asus.

Dec 4, 2019
Last update: new AC adapter straight from ASUS didn’t work, either. I took out the hard drive and got everything I needed off of it, and now I’m just finding a new laptop. It’s less expensive to just get a whole new computer at this point.

Disappointed that this ~$1500 laptop only lasted me three or so years. Not sure if I’m going to trust ASUS again.