Asus: Our Netbooks Are More Popular than iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"deck
Cloud computing does not appeal to me. I have no interest in giving more control to the likes of Google and Apple"

actually cloud computing was suppose to give some control back to you, it is quite feasible for you to setup a data server on a home network and have it accessible directly or through a third party, cloud computer was suppose to segment the computing platform and allow you to choose which ever service best fits your needs from whoever you wished, it's just apple decided to mess it all up with their app approval system and closed OS

djtronika

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
id much rather use cloud computing on my iPad, (and dont knock cloud computing unless you actually use EMC and Cisco products and know what the hell it is capable of) than store my info on a slow piece of shit netbook. 64GB is more than enough for me. everyone, right now, go look at how much used space is on your slow piece of shit netbook and report back to me. yah, i thought so.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
I'd rather go with the netbook that has more processing power than the iPad, that can do both Cloud AND non-Cloud tasks, can be more thoroughly customized to my needs, and doesn't end up gouging my wallet for what I get in return.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Oh come on now ASUS, don't give Apple any more ideas. We don't need them releasing skin and gui packs through the App Store. That will just kill you more.

Just release your tablets and start saturating the market like you did with netbooks before Apple gains too much ground and they corner the tablet market like they did with music players and smart phones.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
That's certainly a very bold statement given that Apple sold more than 300,000 iPad units on the first day of availability.

Not really its just Apple has fanboys its not as if we can expect 300,000 iPads to continue such a rate of sales nor has it. Most of the people who buy the iPad don't even have a practical use for it that merits the price.

Will the iPad sell more than Asus's netbook? Perhaps but I also think the real way to look at it is all netbook sales not just Asus. If you considered those numbers netbooks sell more by a vast majority. Asus actually has competition making pretty much the same product while Apple fears competition and is unwilling to even let even a small business sell a Mac OS on a non Mac computer.

G

I've found far more practicality in a netbook than from the ipad. Almost everyone in my family has an eeepc because it's so damn convenient. And with about 14 hours of battery life- it's really hard not to take it everywhere.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]id much rather use cloud computing on my iPad, (and dont knock cloud computing unless you actually use EMC and Cisco products and know what the hell it is capable of) than store my info on a slow piece of shit netbook. 64GB is more than enough for me. everyone, right now, go look at how much used space is on your slow piece of shit netbook and report back to me. yah, i thought so.[/citation]

Um, what? Current netbooks are faster than iPads with more uses and larger hard drives as well. I'm not sure what your argument is. You want them to slap your iPod Touch OS on there for you?

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]everyone, right now, go look at how much used space is on your slow piece of shit netbook and report back to me. yah, i thought so.[/citation]

So the Ipad has a dumbed down almost able to multitask OS and all of the sudden that makes it fast? My favorite part is that it can almost browse websites without error.

Honestly, when I see one I think it just looks stupid. All I see is someone holding a gigantic Ipod that does the same things as... an Ipod. I would love to see someone holding it to there head like the Iphone if they forget their headset, that would bring me smiles.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]djtronika[/nom]id much rather use cloud computing on my iPad, (and dont knock cloud computing unless you actually use EMC and Cisco products and know what the hell it is capable of) than store my info on a slow piece of shit netbook. 64GB is more than enough for me. everyone, right now, go look at how much used space is on your slow piece of shit netbook and report back to me. yah, i thought so.[/citation]

I think you are just a appletard talking with terms you have no clue about.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Alot of talk about nothing. Good luck with your new tablet, your going to need it cause Apple is the best when it comes to portable devices. They are kicking everyones butt right now and i don't see that changeing anytime soon.[/citation]

I disagree, Asus CAME UP with the concept of the Wildly popular Netbook. Those have sold Millions. Asus is a major player who knows exactly what they're doing, and doing it well. They're surely not going to have their asses handed to them yet.

Just some Food for thought, do some research on netbooks before you become an apple fanboy.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
sorry for double post but i fixed what you should have said:

[citation] do some research before you become an apple fanboy.[/citation]

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]I disagree, Asus CAME UP with the concept of the Wildly popular Netbook. Those have sold Millions. Asus is a major player who knows exactly what they're doing, and doing it well. They're surely not going to have their asses handed to them yet. Just some Food for thought, do some research on netbooks before you become an apple fanboy.[/citation]
Heh, yeah I remember when the first Eee pc came out and the first reviews were basically, 'too small, don't like, unlikely to be useful, etc'. A few months later a couple of those reviewers recanted talking about how they started to really like them for travel and now they're pretty darn popular. I love my little Eee, and as soon as they get Linux working well with multitouch (it's getting pretty close now from the threads I've been following) I'll go pick up the 101MT.

ukgooey

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
I have approx 35Gb left of a 160Gb drive. Let me break that down for ya-

40Gb Windows 7
40Gb OS X
20Gb Ubuntu
50Gb Storage

I use a flash drive or wifi to move files around, you know, for actual work or entertainment. So that's three operating systems that are better than a 'phone' OS, a keyboard and a whole host of functionality an iPad owner can only have wet dreams over.

Home is for storing everything. Netbook is for portability and taking what you need with you. Do you take your entire wardrobe on holiday with you?

And what's more, I can change my hard drive if necessary to one with more storage. Can you do that? Just be grateful your mommy and daddy bought you your iPad and leave the technical stuff to the grown-ups.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
What a stupid comment you retard Apple fanboy. You fail!

I don't see the relation between disk space and you needing only 64GB of mem. That would really be sufficient for an oversized ipod device who can't even get par with netbooks.

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Four days ago I attended an open house featuring cloud computing. It was put on by a fairly new company that started out as a student project at Arizona State University. They had four iPads set up for the cloud demo - plus four mac keyboards, four mac mice, and a tiny white enclosure behind each iPad. I forgot to ask what the white enclosure/case was. With the extra stuff I could not help but feel the iPad was simply being used as a miniature monitor. That's probably because I am used to a tower case and a 24 inch lcd display.

After talking to employees I walked away with the impression that cloud computing was a sophisticated variation of outsourcing aimed at large commercial enterprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.