Solved! ASUS ROG 702ZC Startup Throttling - nothing on display

Nov 3, 2019
Hi people! Help me please !
When starting up my ASUS ROG 702ZC laptop with AMD Ryzen 5 1600 and RX 580 graphics I get nothing on screen and super throttling from both fans.
What can I do? I think it's the Graphics card, but i'm probably just 50% sure. If it's the graphics card.. can I replace the Processor with a 2400G that has integrated graphics?
I understood the the CPU is not soldered on the mainboard but the GPU is...

Thank you !
Regards,

Solution
Try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and...
Nov 3, 2019
I forgot to mention. The laptop is no longer under warranty.
And until now I tried:
  1. taking the CMOS battery out for 20 mins then putting it back in.
  2. After point 1. I replaced the CMOS battery
  3. Re-seated the RAM
  4. Changed the RAM into the other slot
  5. Took out the SSD drive and re-seated it
Also this problem I have for about 1 month now. Since then I tried starting the laptop about 100 times, from which it worked 2 times... booted until windows ..worked normally untill a point when with no reason just shut down then restarted with the usual throttling issue and nothing on display.

Try this...
  1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
  2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
  3. Turn on the external monitor.
  4. Turn on the laptop.
NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

You may also want to try hitting CTRL + SHIFT + WIN + B to try and reset your graphics driver as another possible fix.

Solution