Solved! Asus ux433flc laptop black screen can't turn on

Feb 28, 2021
Hi,

My friend's Asus laptop (ux433flc) was not responding, she shut down the laptop by long-pressing the power button and then tried turning it on again. The power button led lights up flashing but the screen remains black and the computer gets warm as it's turn on. Her school work is stored in the SSD, so hard reset is not possible. The computer is less than 1 year old and still under warranty. Hoping to fix this issue for her asap, as she has upcoming tests and the projects are due.

Would appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Solution
If the power button is held down for several seconds, that should terminate everything that is running. I can't speak to the warranty--that would be a question for Asus. I just noticed you said the power light came on flashing. Is that normal? You should research what that means on this Asus machine. I suspect it is telling you something.

Getting the files off the SSD is easy once you open the machine. You just need an USB adapter that is compatible with that SSD and another PC to plug into.
Is it possible to try the laptop with an external monitor? There should be a function key that may need to be pressed to switch to the external monitor. It's possible the display has failed. Lot's of other things it could be, but the fact that it is getting warm tells you the processor is likely running.

Given that the machine is still under warranty, it's not wise to try to take it apart as that will void the warranty. The problem is, if you send it in for repair, they may end up wiping the SSD. If you can make it work with an external monitor, at least you can copy off the files before you send it off for repair.

Feb 28, 2021
Is it possible to try the laptop with an external monitor? There should be a function key that may need to be pressed to switch to the external monitor. It's possible the display has failed. Lot's of other things it could be, but the fact that it is getting warm tells you the processor is likely running.

Given that the machine is still under warranty, it's not wise to try to take it apart as that will void the warranty. The problem is, if you send it in for repair, they may end up wiping the SSD. If you can make it work with an external monitor, at least you can copy off the files before you send it off for repair.

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciate it. My biggest concern is the data and files in the computer. Unfortunately, we're not in the same country so I can't try to help her recover the data, as she's already very stressed with her studies.

To add a bit more context, she was running some codes with Jupyter Notebook and the processes didn't finish before the computer froze, so she had to force restart via the power button. I don't know if the heat given off by the computer when turned on is related to that, but from my understanding of computer, the applications and processes should be terminated when the computer is shut down. I have yet to check if she had applied some automatic updates recently, to understand whether this is software or hardware related.

If the external monitor doesn't solve the issue, are there any other alternatives without voiding warranty?

If the power button is held down for several seconds, that should terminate everything that is running. I can't speak to the warranty--that would be a question for Asus. I just noticed you said the power light came on flashing. Is that normal? You should research what that means on this Asus machine. I suspect it is telling you something.

Getting the files off the SSD is easy once you open the machine. You just need an USB adapter that is compatible with that SSD and another PC to plug into.

Solution
Feb 28, 2021
Just a quick update, the laptop was brought to the Asus service center and they were able to recover the data. The laptop is held for further investigation. Thanks, appreciated your inputs!