Asus X401A keyboar issue

Solution
It could be dust, get a can of compressed air and try to clean it. My W keys worked sometimes but by the end, that sometimes was once every ten or so presses. Having to hammer key to get 1 response made me think it wasn't a software issue. I was forced to buy a new one as I needed a working keyboard for school.

If the bios is a scary place, some of the other suggestions I saw would equally be so - one was replacing the keyboard itself.

You might need to get it repaired.

paulfraser

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Hi Colif . . . . . thanks for the reply , i ha a look at your suggestions , they are a bit out of my league . . . i had the bios pages come up once when i turne the laptop on , had to go to a friend to get out of it . . . .as you can see the d is now working sometimes , same frien. is suggesting it's dust in the keyboar . . .. . Paul.

Colif

Distinguished
It could be dust, get a can of compressed air and try to clean it. My W keys worked sometimes but by the end, that sometimes was once every ten or so presses. Having to hammer key to get 1 response made me think it wasn't a software issue. I was forced to buy a new one as I needed a working keyboard for school.

If the bios is a scary place, some of the other suggestions I saw would equally be so - one was replacing the keyboard itself.

You might need to get it repaired.

Solution

paulfraser

Commendable
May 8, 2016

paulfraser

Commendable
May 8, 2016
Hi Colif....so i went to the local computer repair guy , he said 95% of keyboards are easy to replace , the Asus X401 is in the other 5% , he showed me how to access the on-sreen keyboard, which i am now using for the d key . . an sold me a Dell keyboard for £5, which i will use when i get a USB port splitter . . .so the problem is sorted in a sketchy sort of way . . . he said the X401 is quite old now , i've had mine about 5 years so i guess i'll be looking at getting a new one sometime soon , the failure of the d key may be the beginning of the end . . i would like to stick with Asus ,in my uneducated opinion it's a good laptop, however i started with a 7inch EE Asus PC ,this had Linux rather than Windows and seemed to have less problems . . .thanks for your input . .all the best , Paul.