Asus x501 A , replaced keyboard now problems...

t.bennett

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
Hello, I have changed my keyboard, and mouse.

To start with when everything was put back together then turned on the laptop the hardrive light would go off and close within a couple seconds.

Then I tried turning on whilst keyboard was off the laptop, starts up and works fine , so put back together and it was when I would clip it all back that this problem would happen with it turning off within seconds with no screen.

Took HDD out, reset some cables to make sure they are in properly. Keyboard is now back in, and starts up, now my problem is most keys will turn off the laptop and touchpad.

Help me please :)

Solution
It was a part of the key board touching somewhere on the motherboard, just to the left of the hardrive.

placed a piece of high grade plastic film over the area of about 40mm by 40mm works perfect now :)

t.bennett

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018

I've tried turning the laptop on whilst keyboard and mouse pad is rested on laptop but not pushed in and screwed and it works perfect.

So I presume keyboard is ok, also I have compared to old keyboard.

It can press the left hand side into place and everything remains fine, it's when the far right hand side goes down it shuts off and won't start up, untill lifted on the right again.

I presume I'm right in saying it's shorting somewhere in that area? Was going to test a few suspect areas with electrical tape ? Would that work?

t.bennett

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018

Nope both the keyboard and mouse are from middle to the left hand side, at work at the moment and got some fine sheet of plastic and even thinner and some electrical tape, the way the laptop goes off does seem like a short, but could be touching a cable, but the area where I go to push down seems more like contact with mother board in top right area, or hinge or near a screw hole into the keyboard. So will tape them off 1 by one to see if it gets solved

t.bennett

Prominent
Jan 27, 2018
It was a part of the key board touching somewhere on the motherboard, just to the left of the hardrive.

placed a piece of high grade plastic film over the area of about 40mm by 40mm works perfect now :)

Solution