ASUS X555L BIOS - follow-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarscarix041

Estimable
Jul 7, 2015
I had a post about a zapped ASUS X555L BIOS; it seems to have disappeared. I wanted to thank the person (Moderator) for their quick response.

I also wanted to say that indeed the motherboard was dead; my friend wanted to know for sure, so she had ASUS check it.

However, I also wanted to ask: is it not true that turning off the power just is not apt to break the motherboard (normally)? (I believed so, and an acquaintance said that one could do it 50 times without breaking it.)

It´s a relative new "feature" in windows 10, that the manufacturer updates the UEFI BIOS directly via windows updates. Till now it was a manual part to do, which involved the knowing, that if something goes wrong while flashing the BIOS/UEFI ( like power outage, resetting, powering off, freezing,.... ) only the manufacturer can "repair"/reflash the BIOS in most cases.
Now windows update takes part of it and asks to flash/update BIOS/Firmware, if the user clicks yes and doesn´t read what´s really gonna happen, hardware can be bricked/corrupted like you did unintentionally.

Some motherboards in PCs do have two BIOS chips, so if one is corrupted, the other would clone itself to the corrupted one. Or some have a flashback feature, which only needs an USB flash drive and the unzipped BIOS file, renamed to a default name which the manufacturer defines. To successfully revive such a system.

Nontheless HDDs and SSDs don´t like powering off while working as well

Status
Not open for further replies.