Question Asus X555LAB laptop goes dark when on battery

tomshardwareuser1989

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
My Asus X555LAB laptop goes dark when the power adapter is not plugged in. When I start the computer on battery the screen is dark. When I plug in the ac adapter after a minute the screen displays my sign-on screen.

With the computer on and with it on my Windows 10 desktop, If I unplug the power the screen goes dark. If I then put the ac adapter back in I can see my desktop.

I just installed a new battery that is 100% charged, I also have the most up to date BIOS which I restored it defaults.

Any suggestions on how I can keep seeing my screen on battery power is appreciated.

Jan 26, 2022
were you able to use the power button after you installed the battery? I installed a battery and now my asus laptop is super laggy and stuttering, it only turns on when plugged in even thought the battery is brand now. I reinstalled the old battery but the issue remains, did you have a similar experience?

tomshardwareuser1989

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
were you able to use the power button after you installed the battery? I installed a battery and now my asus laptop is super laggy and stuttering, it only turns on when plugged in even thought the battery is brand now. I reinstalled the old battery but the issue remains, did you have a similar experience?
Thank you, AsusExcitement65. Yes, I was able to use the power button after the battery install. It's weird that just using the battery I press the power button and a small flash of light appears on the screen but then darkness. Once I plug in the ac adapter I am on the screen that displays the time on the bottom left-hand side. That tells me the laptop does turn on normally but I can see anything until I plug in the ac adapter.

Reactions: AsusExcitement65
Jan 26, 2022
Thank you, AsusExcitement65. Yes, I was able to use the power button after the battery install. It's weird that just using the battery I press the power button and a small flash of light appears on the screen but then darkness. Once I plug in the ac adapter I am on the screen that displays the time on the bottom left-hand side. That tells me the laptop does turn on normally but I can see anything until I plug in the ac adapter.
Yes a little strange. I had a similar issue but cannot turn on the laptop with out it being plugged in.

tomshardwareuser1989

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2008
I am going to make a copy of the hard drive. Then place that copied hard drive into the laptop. Then I will re-install a clean copy of Windows 10. This will hopefully tell me if it was a setting in the original hard drive. I will keep you posted on my progress.

RavenWing71

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
I have a customer's ASUS X555DA doing the same thing. It's got to be somewhere in hardware or CMOS Settings. Even if I cold boot straight into the BIOS Settings, when I remove the AC cord the screen goes dark, and when I plug it back in, I'm right back in the BIOS Settings.
When in windows I noticed that it is just the backlight going out. The image is still being displayed and can be seen if you can angle a light source just right.