AT&T Tests LTE Network ''Real World'' 4G Speeds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have LTE through Verizon, and I get between 20-30 Mbit/s down and 3-5 Mbit/s up.

So what this article is saying is that in another couple of years, ATT will be where Verizon currently is?

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]so with this you'll be over your cap in the first two days instead of the first 4 days...[/citation]
The whole point of high speeds is do enjoy dl media without slowdowns. So what's the point of such high speeds if doing something like watching a movie kills your cap? You certainly don't need these speeds just to check email or do a web search. Simply pointless until there is enough bandwith to do these activities without caps to worry about.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]The whole point of high speeds is do enjoy dl media without slowdowns. So what's the point of such high speeds if doing something like watching a movie kills your cap? You certainly don't need these speeds just to check email or do a web search. Simply pointless until there is enough bandwith to do these activities without caps to worry about.[/citation]
Who grants you that fast lane doesn't lead to a traffic jam straight ahead? High bandwidth and low latencies are NOT granted all across the way to the content. As you see there are several different ways for ATT to make you suffer...

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
To have REAL 4G this is one of the requirements set by the ITU (International Telecomunications Union):
"Peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access, according to the ITU requirements."

Basically... REAL 4G doesn't exisit right now but it looks like AT&T will be the first to hit real 4G speeds.

"Current LTE and WiMAX implementations are considered pre-4G, as they don't fully comply with the planned requirements of 1 Gbit/s for stationary reception and 100 Mbit/s for mobile."

"Confusion has been caused by some mobile carriers who have launched products advertised as 4G but which are actually current technologies, commonly referred to as '3.9G', which do not follow the ITU-R defined principles for 4G standards. A common argument for branding 3.9G systems as new-generation is that they use different frequency bands to 3G technologies; that they are based on a new radio-interface paradigm; and that the standards are not backwards compatible with 3G, whilst some of the standards are expected to be forwards compatible with "real" 4G technologies."

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]Confusion has been caused by some mobile carriers who have launched products advertised as 4G but which are actually current technologies, commonly referred to as '3.9G', which do not follow the ITU-R defined principles for 4G standards.[/citation]
So people could file lawsuit against Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile for false advertising?

G

4G Phones from AT&T now come with an option for the unlimited Data plan. I know, as I have two of them, the Atrix and Infuse. So I'm supposing when the 4G LTE gets upgraded and you have a 4G phone using the $30 unlimited plan, there will be no issues...Except bandwidth in heavily populated areas...

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]101Mbps here; Optimum boost FTW! Heck, even TWC rolled out its 102Mbps service in direct retaliation.Isn't actual competition great?[/citation]
That boost is a gimmick..it keeps those speeds for the first 10mbs of a download and then throttles down to normal speeds. And to add to that its shared bandwidth so it still fails like other cable companies when compared to Verizon FioS.

cjl

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]thekr1st[/nom]Verizon's 4G sucks. It may be fast, but they "data manage" their network by funneling through a Proxy in LA, California. Fast doesn't cut it. You will have crappy pings and unreliable web surfing if you tether. Plus remember that you will being charged a small fortune.[/citation]

You must not own a Verizon 4g device.

I do (droid charge), and it's nothing like what you say. The pings are better than any 3G I've ever seen (usually around 100ms), and the pricing for 4G unlimited is the same as for 3G unlimited, at least right now. You might consider trying out the network before deciding that it's terrible.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]so with this you'll be over your cap in the first two days instead of the first 4 days...[/citation]
[citation][nom]j3ff86[/nom]Use up your 200mb or 2gb cap even quicker![/citation]
Good! That means people won't be tying up valuable wireless bandwidth with frivolous movie downloads. Better performance for people who actually use there phones for productive purposes and watch movies on more appropriate devices.

G

I get Verizon 4G maybe 15% of the time in a major urban area. It switches down to 3G and drops the ball making the switch. My brother got sold on 4G by Verizon in Maine in a region that isn't slated to have 4G service for 2 years. Beware, those scumbags will sell you want they don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.