At2020 cheap setup

Topinymous

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
I'm looking cheap setup for AT2020 XLR because the usb version costs so much. Is it possible to get good at2020 xlr setup fir cheaper than the usb version?

Solution
at2020 xlr ($99) + usb audio interface ($30-40) = $130-140
at2020usb with pop filter ($150)

those prices are for cheaper entry level interfaces. yes there are some dirt cheap ones (generally junk) and your audio quality can be much better on better ones (but they are also much more money).

now, i've seen the 2020 drop to about $135 on sale at times but the xlr version not so much.

the atr2500 is like a cheap version of the 2020 but build quality is not as good and sound quality is not quite as good.

you might also find a good deal for one which includes a shockmount, stand and popfilter as a combo deal. i do not see any right now, but there used to be a whole bunch of them

the blue yeti is also a good mic (though if you plan on...
at2020 xlr ($99) + usb audio interface ($30-40) = $130-140
at2020usb with pop filter ($150)

those prices are for cheaper entry level interfaces. yes there are some dirt cheap ones (generally junk) and your audio quality can be much better on better ones (but they are also much more money).

now, i've seen the 2020 drop to about $135 on sale at times but the xlr version not so much.

the atr2500 is like a cheap version of the 2020 but build quality is not as good and sound quality is not quite as good.

you might also find a good deal for one which includes a shockmount, stand and popfilter as a combo deal. i do not see any right now, but there used to be a whole bunch of them

the blue yeti is also a good mic (though if you plan on using it its very large and will get in the way of your vision more than the smaller 2020) and it might need special mounts due to size.

which is the better route? depends.

usb is nice because it is convenient and requires no extra hardware. less clutter on desk, etcetera.

xlr is nice because some mixers/interfaces can output better quality than the usb version can, you have analog mixing knobs at your convenience and can mix with other audio sources from other devices easily.

both would work, though each has its own benefits and negatives.

another mic i was impressed with the audio quality of was the rode nt usb. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KivJ2nUFQZ0 i like how it sounds warmer with more mid and bass tones. not that i like the 2020 any less (i like the sound of both the 2020 and 2035) but i also like the nt usb.

Solution