AT2020USB+ Audio Out Quality?

storyr

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
I just bought an at2020 usb+ and it gets delivered in a few days. I am trying to figure out how to get it all set up once it shows up.

I'm curious if the audio quality in the monitor will be different for gaming if I choose to plug my headphones directly into the mic as opposed to directly into my motherboard. I searched everywhere online but couldn't really find a solid answer. The reason I ask is because the audio out is for monitoring but there is a dial on the mic itself that allows you to move just to computer audio.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
whether or not you need to use the jack on the mic depends on what you are doing. if you want to listen to your voice live without any micro-delays then the jack on the front is best. sometimes when you use headphones or soundcard to listen and use listen to this device there is a small delay. not always, but sometimes in some systems. you pay more for the output on the usb+ instead of usb model anyways.

as for quality, that depends on the quality of your onboard audio vs the mic. i would say the mic output should be at least equivalent to basic or average onboard. if you have high end onboard or a good soundcard however its not going to be as nice.

want the best of both worlds? the xlr version of the mic (which is cheaper also) can...
whether or not you need to use the jack on the mic depends on what you are doing. if you want to listen to your voice live without any micro-delays then the jack on the front is best. sometimes when you use headphones or soundcard to listen and use listen to this device there is a small delay. not always, but sometimes in some systems. you pay more for the output on the usb+ instead of usb model anyways.

as for quality, that depends on the quality of your onboard audio vs the mic. i would say the mic output should be at least equivalent to basic or average onboard. if you have high end onboard or a good soundcard however its not going to be as nice.

want the best of both worlds? the xlr version of the mic (which is cheaper also) can be used with a higher quality usb interface (scarlett solo for example or similar products) and you can connect directly to that for monitoring if you want both decent quality and zero lag on hearing your voice. also you get convenient hand controls. xlr really is the way to go as a good mic interface will record at higher bitrates. usb however is plug and play and is very portable/convenient. depends on what you're into.

not sure how virtual surround comes into play if you use the mic output. i know people have had it working with external 2.0 dac units if their onboard or soundcard had it as an option but cant say for sure if it will work like that with the mic output or with a usb interface output. i'm thinking yes but that would need testing.

Solution