Audio combo jack not working

vulturul21

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
Hello,

I have recently bought a laptop Lenovo G580 and installed windows 7 on it.
My laptop has one audio combo jack so I have bought one adaptercable stereo jack 3.5mm 4 layer > 2x3.5mm stereo jack 3 layer ( http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/141/65344m.jpg/ ). When I connect the adaptor to my laptop it is recognized as external headphone and mic how it should be, but when I connect my headphones to this adaptor, my laptop doesnt recognize it any more and I cant hear any sound in my headphones.

When my adaptor is connected to my laptop the sound from the speakers stops and when I connect my headphone to this adaptor the sound from the laptop speakers starts again and the adaptor is no longer recognized.

I installed the latest audio drivers from lenovo and directx11 and didnt solved my problem.

If you have any idea please let me know about it.
Thank you

groundrat

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
Sounds like something isn't making good connection, or isn't wired the same way your laptops audio jack is. Not all audio connectors are made equally. Is there an adapter that Lenovo sells for that connector? If so try that one.

zdbc13

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
What happens if you plug the headphones into the combo jack on the laptop itself? Sounds like your adapter is defective.

vulturul21

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
if I plug the headphones directly to laptop the headphones are not recognized and nothing happens. The headphones have a 3 layers jack, the laptop has a combo jack with 4 layers. This is one of the reasons I bought the adaptor, the other is to use a mic with a 3 layers jack with adaptor too

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
That is the same jack that is used on most Smartphones and tablets and on iPhones/iPads. The easiest solution would be to get a headseat/microphone that has a 3.5mm four pin jack. That would allow you use both the Audio out and the Microphone at the same time without any adaptors. I have one of these(Lowrider Navy/Chrome), and while it works fine with my Laptop[Lenovo Y565), it needs a separator Audio/mic Separator to use the Microphone. Exactly the opposite problem you have. I envy you a little bit.

vulturul21

Honorable
Jan 4, 2013
I installed linux mint to use as my second operation system, and on linux any headphones with 3 layer jack works connected directly to laptop without any adaptor, so it can't be a hardware problem just for windows..

mtlatta

Estimable
Feb 4, 2015
I had a similar problem that I was able to resolve. I have a razer carcharias (separate prongs for audio and mic) and a windows 7 lenovo laptop with a realtek sound driver and a single audio/mic combo jack. I am using this $6 adapter from newegg: StarTech MUYHSMFF 3.5mm 4 Pin to 2x 3 Pin 3.5mm Headset Splitter Adapter M/F M-F.

The steps to solve my problem:
Control Panel -> Hardware and sound -> Realtek HD Audio Manager -> Device advanced settings -> change Audio Director to Multi-stream mode. (May need to keep headset plugged in and restart computer after changing settings.)

Hope this helps.

vova_k

Estimable
Jul 4, 2015
My solution for Windows 8.1 was(for Asus N551JK but actually should work with any Asus notebooks combo jack sockets, not sure regarding other manufacturers because driver installation step is important as I was not able to get to work microphone from my 4 pin headset before driver installation):

1.Download driver for your OS from manufacturer official page
2. Install driver with all reboots that it may require
3. Connect 4 pin headset and check that mic is working now(for me no new microphone was installed in system(however in Realtek dialog I have chosen "Headset" option), but green scale at the "Sound" dialog on "Recording" tab start actually working for connected headset's microphone.
4. In case you use audio splitter cable MAKE SURE that it is 4 pins jack to 2 sockets x 3 pins(read it's descriptions or at least see that sockets is signed by mic and headphones/speakers icons or one is red and another is green like this one:
attachment.php

http://forum.benchmark.rs/attachment.php?attachmentid=131797&d=1388163760).

DON'T USE splitters with not specified mic and speaker outputs because most likely they just split signal(i.e. have the same output sockets pins amount as amount on it's input plug. For example: 4 pins input to 2 x 4 pins output)
Example:
JhOro8.jpg

http://mobimania.ua/users/images/items_computer_cable/big/JhOro8.jpg

nj7071

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015
HI, when you plug in your combo headset, you go to bottom right corner and press the speaker icon and choose the recording devices. Then you choose your internal mic and configure it. You must choose desk mic not the headset mic configuration. It worked for me i hope it will work for you.

nj7071

Seeyan

Estimable
Sep 25, 2015
I have Asus N551JK and I have the same problem as some of the users here - audio is not coming out of my headphones. I have tried reinstalling drivers, changing settings in Realtek Audio Manager and in Control Panel -> Sounds - to no avail. Tried both 3-layer and 4-layer headphones - not working.

I could not deduct from the answers above how users with my problem have solved it - will buying a splitter (with designated microphone/audio separation) work? Or do I take my laptop to manufacturer (with all hassle attached...).

Samuel Sulaiman

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014

It works with mine. So it is a Realtek configuration problem. Thanks

emt38

Commendable
May 5, 2016
I had the same trouble.

I have an ASUS R55LA-RH31 and a 3.5mm Headset (4 layers Jack) and the Combo Jack on my Laptop (Mic/Headphone labeled for the same jack).

The drivers are the Realtek HD, what I did to solve it was to select the Headphone option at the dialog. The Mic and Headphones started working together all nice.

I hope it helps. Have a nice day