Solved! Audio Devices

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Hi all,

I understand NOTHING about audio on any operating system and I am trying to get the best possible sound as follows:

• Via KVM Switch. Essentially, have either two, three, or more devices running on a KVM Switch, and would like for sound to carry from whichever device I am on to the speakers. In other words, if I connect the speakers directly to one laptop, what happens to sound on my other laptops and devices? So, again, I would like to use the audio output switch on the KVM for sound. Currently there is no sound when connecting through it.
  • Under Manage Audio Devices, I have:
    • Realtek High Definition Audio (Default Communications Device)
    • Digital Audio (HDMI) High Definition Audio Device, BUT it says 'unplugged
    • Old but working copy of DFX (Virtual) Speakers and Audio Enhancement program (default device)

How do I get the best sound possible? Where do I start? Right now I do have sound on laptops but don't want to go into too much about that as I want to be as short as possible in my explanation. (I have a tendency to go on and on) :).

Solution
If your KVM switch can carry sound, it should simply work when connecting the headphone out to the KVM and having that KVM connected to your speakers.

If you have the speakers connected to a computer, then only that computer will be able to use those speakers.
If your KVM switch can carry sound, it should simply work when connecting the headphone out to the KVM and having that KVM connected to your speakers.

If you have the speakers connected to a computer, then only that computer will be able to use those speakers.

Solution

OhGod

Commendable
Feb 17, 2020
Haha. Yes, thank you. Figured out that I was not connecting both the speaker's USB and the audio jack to the KVM Switch. I did not know where to connect the USB as I only had two USB ports on the switch. Tried it in the mouse port and it worked, thank you.

Just playing with configuration and settings for best sound now as it seems I am getting some feedback/reverb.