audio from HDTV to speaker system

ovadiaitay34

Estimable
May 25, 2014
Hello everyone
I have speaker receiver str-de245 (Sony old receiver,with no hdmi outputs). I just got a new Samsung smart TV ju6400. I want the audio to be from the sound system but I cannot get it done.
I tried setting the tv to external speaker but still can't get it work

Thanks for helpers

Solution
You could use the headphone output as R_1 suggests. Since the Sony only has matrix surround sound you can omit the splitter and use a single cable 3.5mm stereo to 2 RCA plugs.
If you have two speakers set the receiver to stereo.
If you have more than two speakers select the surround mode you prefer (such as Dolby).
This connection will turn off the TV speakers but the TV volume control will affect the volume of the Sony. If the TV turned up to high you will hear distortion due to the receiver overloading, Back the volume down.
An alternative is to use the optical out of the TV with a DAC to convert to analog
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-(51-compatible)--180-999
This connection is fixed in...

R_1

Estimable
Herald
You could use the headphone output as R_1 suggests. Since the Sony only has matrix surround sound you can omit the splitter and use a single cable 3.5mm stereo to 2 RCA plugs.
If you have two speakers set the receiver to stereo.
If you have more than two speakers select the surround mode you prefer (such as Dolby).
This connection will turn off the TV speakers but the TV volume control will affect the volume of the Sony. If the TV turned up to high you will hear distortion due to the receiver overloading, Back the volume down.
An alternative is to use the optical out of the TV with a DAC to convert to analog
http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-dac-digital-to-analog-converter-(51-compatible)--180-999
This connection is fixed in volume so the TV volume won't affect the Sony. You will have to turn the optical out on and the TV speakers off.

Solution