Audio goes from normal volume to extremely loud and distorted?

Bill Jenkins

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014
This started happening yesterday while I was listening to a song on youtube, the audio went from normal to extremely loud and distorted to the point where it hurt my ears, I paused the youtube video and then played it again and everything was fine. At first I thought it was a problem with chrome or youtube but it would happen so randomly, then today I was listening to a song on my computer and it did the same thing and when I paused and resumed again it was fine. Thinking it might be my headphones I tried different ones and it did the same thing with those, then I tried a different jack and it would randomly do the same thing. I can't figure out why it randomly seems to do this, also my sound card is built in and I have a ASUS Maximus VII Hero for a motherboard.

Rayven2

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
So you have tired multiple audio ports? If you want to make sure it's not your headphones I'd tried it with another device such as your phone or another computer, see if it makes a difference. If not, it might be the audio on the board, perhaps a simple fix like a driver. You could also have crappy wiring, let me know how it goes.

Bill Jenkins

Estimable
Feb 14, 2014

I've tried it on my phone and another computer and neither of them had the problem. Device manager says my audio drivers are up to date (Whether that's true or not I'm not sure.) and I had my PC open last month when I cleaned the dust out of it and went over all the wires just to be sure they were plugged in correctly. Thanks for the reply!

Rayven2

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014