audio network player

FatalRob

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
hello.

I'm here today to try and get a better understanding before I buy a network audio player,(or if i need one?) and I'm hoping I can get a answer here regarding my question.with that said,i currently have Klipsch R-15PM powered bookshelf speakers (Bluetooth).ive been using these with my iPhone,ipad and computer to play music from my devices via Bluetooth and it works good.no receiver necessary......so,my question is what "purpose" can the network audio player do for me that I can't do now? I heard that with these players if you're listening to a low res audio,you could actually change it to sound better,but its not always recommended.not sure why though.

I've been looking at the X-Uni (advance acoustics) Cambridge Audio CXN and the MarantzNA7004.

Again,what can these players do for me that I cannot already do in the sense that I can already listen to music from all my devices internet radio etc????? am I missing something? the Marantz isn't even Bluetooth ready(separate adapter needed???)

I'm really looking forward to peoples explanation on this...thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

Solution
They're both basically doing what a iphone/android/pc browser software does and plays music from various sources online. They are just built into a box that would fit into a stereo entertainment center. You would probably get better sound quality, yes, and you would be paying for that better quality. As I said, bluetooth compresses so avoiding that would help and a $30 chromecast audio like i said. Better than a $1000 Cambridge audio one. No. Better than bluetooth, I think so. You could also buy the optical cable for the chromecast as I believe your speakers have an optical input and get digital sound for about $50 and just cast from your phone.

that said, I don't know how well iphones play with google chromecast products...
Well bluetooh can compress audio and you will loose quality unless it's one of the fancy new bluetooth formats that claim they don't,. but not many devices support those standards so you may be loose some quality that way and also limited by their range.

A chromecast audio may be a better solution and give you better quality as it's wifi based and connects directly to youtube, spotify, etc itself as a device to play the music, you simply control it from your device essentially.

FatalRob

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
Ok thanks for some understanding.....but I'm still a little confused what a network audio player can give me from what I have now.better sound quality I guess?

They're both basically doing what a iphone/android/pc browser software does and plays music from various sources online. They are just built into a box that would fit into a stereo entertainment center. You would probably get better sound quality, yes, and you would be paying for that better quality. As I said, bluetooth compresses so avoiding that would help and a $30 chromecast audio like i said. Better than a $1000 Cambridge audio one. No. Better than bluetooth, I think so. You could also buy the optical cable for the chromecast as I believe your speakers have an optical input and get digital sound for about $50 and just cast from your phone.

that said, I don't know how well iphones play with google chromecast products, that's one I don't know.

Solution
If your only source is steaming music then using a network streamer is probably not going to do much for you.
If you wanted to play local files with at least CD quality then there would be a reason to upgrade.
The downside would be that you can only access the services that the streamer is programmed to use. No Youtube music for instance.
There may be a practical reason since when you use a streamer it does that not your devices (they only control it) so your device can be used for something else or be off while the music continues.
If you wanted a cheaper alternative the Denon HeosLink can be used as a streamer, has bluetooth, and a USB port that you can connect a drive to and play local files including HiRes audio. It has analog and digital inputs and outputs so you can connect other sources.

FatalRob

Estimable
Apr 5, 2015
Thanks for the reply as well American.i see what you're saying...after watching a few more videos,I have a better understanding now.these players will offer a much better sound quality when streaming online music files and Internet radio.kinda makes sense now!