Audio Technica Μ50x vs Sennheiser HD 598

Sevando

Commendable
Aug 21, 2016
Hello which of 2 headset are suitable for music especially for heavy metal music?. What are the differences? Thereis a better choice of headset? Under 100euros?

Solution
558 is similar to the 558 but with a little more bass, little less soundstage and little less quality. the 518 is similar to that but with a bit less bass/soundstage/quality from the 558.

i havent heard about the 559. guessing the 559 is a new version of the 558 and the 599 is a new version of the 598. i can not say how they really compare as i have not read much on them though a few said they sounded a bit cleaner (whether that is a paid positive review, fanboyism or accurate i can not tell you) and they have a removable cable.

given how the 558 and 598 are cheap (at least in usa, not sure about in europe) i'd say they are the better deal than anything new.

i do know beyer cans are cheaper than senn in europe.

BringerOfTea

Estimable
Dec 17, 2015
got the M50x as stated earlier, can recommend them but the padding they come with are really bad. I bough some replacement pads for the 840 shure and they fit, though not snuggly. The sennheiser have I not tried but believe they are also quite well sounding.

m50
heavily v-shaped (accented bass/treble with recessed mids) signature. capable of low end bass tones while treble is still pretty clear. not much soundstage so audio will sound very close (like a band in a bar instead of in an ampitheater). fairly comfortable but earcups are for medium and small ears. fairly durable.

hd598
neutral sound signature. capable of some bass but not low end. more relaxed and laid back sounding. decent soundstage. decently comfortable for most except for very large ears.

both are decent depending on what you want. in europe take a look at the dt770 though. it is often cheaper than senneheiser and audiotechnica and essentially the dt770 is a m50 but 'better'. more soundstage, better comfort and a slight quality level increase in audio.

as far as driving them, they are easy to drive so do not need anything special. using a high powered amp is not going to change how they sound very much. any decent soundcard or external dac would be fine. xonar dx, fiio e10k or similar are both fine but you could get away with cheaper.

as far as earcups on the m50, you could replace them. they are rather small though.

558 is similar to the 558 but with a little more bass, little less soundstage and little less quality. the 518 is similar to that but with a bit less bass/soundstage/quality from the 558.

i havent heard about the 559. guessing the 559 is a new version of the 558 and the 599 is a new version of the 598. i can not say how they really compare as i have not read much on them though a few said they sounded a bit cleaner (whether that is a paid positive review, fanboyism or accurate i can not tell you) and they have a removable cable.

given how the 558 and 598 are cheap (at least in usa, not sure about in europe) i'd say they are the better deal than anything new.

i do know beyer cans are cheaper than senn in europe.

Solution